HELP: How can I grab ALL console keyboard input?

HELP: How can I grab ALL console keyboard input?

Post by Jason L Saunde » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to grab all console keyboard input, including the switch-console
key combinations. What function should I be calling to do this? getc()
doesn't do the job.

Cheers,
Jason

Post by Andries Brouw » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

: I'm trying to grab all console keyboard input, including the switch-console
: key combinations. What function should I be calling to do this? getc()
: doesn't do the job.

Put the console in scancode mode and you'll have every key press
and key release and key repeat. Of course, you'll then have to do
the mapping yourself. This is what X does.
For a small example, look at showkey in kbd-0.91.

1. HELP: How to grab *all* console keyboard input?

I'm trying to grab all console keyboard input for a "lock" type program.
Is there a program in existence that works on console so as to catch the
switch-virtual-console key combinations (Ctrl-Alt-[F1..F12] under Linux)?
If not, what ioctl would be needed? If not an ioctl, then what?
Would it perhaps involve hacking around with the kernel keyboard driver?

Thanks for any help,
Jason

2. AIX file space

3. Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

4. Looking for HACMP users

5. X Server on remote display grabs console input

6. bash array help

7. Compaq RAID5 Disk Accesses Interfere With Keyboard/Mouse Input at Console

8. Looking for kde-office-1.92

9. Output on serial console / input from keyboard

10. How does keyboard input transmit from keyboard of X Server to application?

11. X Server hangs because Workman grabs input and hangs

12. input: Implement device grabbing [1/13]

13. HELP: xftp refuses keyboard input