XFree86 bug

Post by Damjan Lan » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I think maybe I found a bug in X.
Try pressing a lot of keys at once and fast.
In this way I have locked my linux completely.
not even ctrl-alt-del worked.
and diskdrive also shut up so I had to hard reset.
First I thought it was a coincidence but I can reproduce thi any time
I want.
Maybe it is related only to XFree86_S3 wich I have, so it would
be useful if others try this too.

Otherwise linux is running just fine to me. Everything else is ok.

--

XFree86 bug

Post by Damjan Lan » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Maybe linux was not locked but only keyboard and mouse?

Maybe, but as I said the moment that it locked, also disk shut up.
which normally does something from a moment to moment (I think that
is update or something). I will try to play a .wav file in the background
and try to lock it again, but I can't do it now - I'll report after
a few days.

: We saw something similar You mentioned yesterday. The linux box was
: still useable by remote login ..

can't check that.

: ctrl-alt-del never worked with X11. Ctrl-alt-backspace killed X11 as it
: should ...
: --

hmm as I remember ctrl-alt-del works in X too.
I know of ctrl-alt-baskspace and tried it. - it didn't worked.
Also the xclock wich I had running stopped.

BTW, can anybody else try this? just press a lot key simultaneoulsy and fast.
just like beavis does. :)

bye.

--

XFree86 bug

Post by Johann Friedrich Heinrichmey » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Maybe linux was not locked but only keyboard and mouse?

We saw something similar You mentioned yesterday. The linux box was
still useable by remote login ..

ctrl-alt-del never worked with X11. Ctrl-alt-backspace killed X11 as it
should ...
--
Fritz Heinrichmeyer                             FernUniversitaet Hagen
FAX:   +49 2371/566236                          LG Elektronische Schaltungen

PHONE: +49 02371/566-243                        58644 Iserlohn (Germany)
WWW:  http://ES-sun2.fernuni-hagen.de

XFree86 bug

Post by Damjan Lan » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: : I think maybe I found a bug in X.
: : Try pressing a lot of keys at once and fast.
: : In this way I have locked my linux completely.
: : not even ctrl-alt-del worked.
: : and diskdrive also shut up so I had to hard reset.
: : First I thought it was a coincidence but I can reproduce thi any time
: : I want.
: : Maybe it is related only to XFree86_S3 wich I have, so it would
: : be useful if others try this too.

: : Otherwise linux is running just fine to me. Everything else is ok.

: : --

: I also had problems with XF86_S3 version 3.1.1. I got system crashes when
: moving the mouse quickly and/or pressing mouse buttons. Get X312S3.tgz,
: that removes the problem, at least till now :-)
: ---
: Dr. Stefan Schafroth
: University Zurich/Physics

: Switzerland

I have Slackware 3.0 which already has X 3.1.2 or is there any new
patched version?

bye

--

XFree86 bug

Post by Dominic Dasil » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

You are a genious. Try that with
any other OS, and I bet you get
the same results.

XFree86 bug

Post by Stefan Schafro » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I think maybe I found a bug in X.
: Try pressing a lot of keys at once and fast.
: In this way I have locked my linux completely.
: not even ctrl-alt-del worked.
: and diskdrive also shut up so I had to hard reset.
: First I thought it was a coincidence but I can reproduce thi any time
: I want.
: Maybe it is related only to XFree86_S3 wich I have, so it would
: be useful if others try this too.

: Otherwise linux is running just fine to me. Everything else is ok.

: --

I also had problems with XF86_S3 version 3.1.1. I got system crashes when
moving the mouse quickly and/or pressing mouse buttons. Get X312S3.tgz,
that removes the problem, at least till now :-)
---
Dr. Stefan Schafroth
University Zurich/Physics

Switzerland

XFree86 bug

Post by Brendan Bartlet » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>I have also encountered this kind of a problem. I have XFree86 version
>3.1.1, and kernel version 1.2.11. Box is a P5-90 with 16 Meg RAM. When
>using netscape 2.0b1, keyboard and mouse locks from time to time. Neither
>Alt+Ctrl+BackSpc nor Alt+Ctrl+Del works. But I can login from a remote
>host and everything seems to work fine. Why??

 I experienced a problem where an xterm (or any application child, ie.
*cough* netrek *cough*) will go "stale" after a while and refuse to accept
any keyboard input.  This gets very annoying when the mouse works for a
program but the keyboard won't.
 As I stated, the mouse for me continues to work and I can pop up another
xterm and kill the "stale" one and start over.
 I've got the new ELF slackware, P5-66 with 40 megs RAM, Diamond Viper video
card (using the accelerated server), kernel 1.2.11.

-Brendan

XFree86 bug

Post by Peter Haij » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

|> > I have also encountered this kind of a problem. I have XFree86
version
|> > 3.1.1, and kernel version 1.2.11. Box is a P5-90 with 16 Meg RAM.
When
|> > using netscape 2.0b1, keyboard and mouse locks from time to time.
Neither
|> > Alt+Ctrl+BackSpc nor Alt+Ctrl+Del works. But I can login from a
remote
|> > host and everything seems to work fine. Why??
|> >

|> I am using the 1.2.13 kernel and had similar lock-ups when using
|> Netscpate 2.0b1.  I went back to Netscape 1.12, and the problems

We have a Linux machine here that has exactly the same problems. When
running Netscape (local) or Interleaf (on a Sun, displaying it's window
on the Linux machine) the Linux box simply stops responding to keyboard
input
or mouse clicks - the mouse keeps moving, but the mouse pointer doesn't
change
anymore. The Linux machine is still accessible using remote login, and
it's
almost idling.

When the problem occured while running Interleaf, killing Interleaf on
the
Sun instantly brings the Linux machine back to life as if nothing had
hapened.
The problem is easily reproducable using Interleaf.

Maybe Netscape and Interleaf are doing something wrong and XFree 86
fails
to protect itself adequatly?

XFree86 bug

Post by B. James Phillipp » Sun, 19 Nov 1995 04:00:00

 |> > I have also encountered this kind of a problem. I have XFree86
 version
 |> > 3.1.1, and kernel version 1.2.11. Box is a P5-90 with 16 Meg RAM.
 When
 |> > using netscape 2.0b1, keyboard and mouse locks from time to time.
 Neither
 |> > Alt+Ctrl+BackSpc nor Alt+Ctrl+Del works. But I can login from a
 remote
 |> > host and everything seems to work fine. Why??
 |> >

 |> I am using the 1.2.13 kernel and had similar lock-ups when using
 |> Netscpate 2.0b1.  I went back to Netscape 1.12, and the problems

I noticed something like this happening in X with my Linux setup.  It
only happend while running Netscape.  I found that the problem was caused
by Netscap not "releasing" the mouse from input mode or something.  The
fix was to simply scroll the Netscape document up to the very very very
beginning with the scroll bar.  Then I could use the mouse for input
within xterms, etc.

-B. James Phillippe
--

Valued Client Since 1.1.59    [www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bryanxms]

XFree86 bug

Post by Rogan Dawe » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> |> I am using the 1.2.13 kernel and had similar lock-ups when using
> |> Netscpate 2.0b1.  I went back to Netscape 1.12, and the problems
> We have a Linux machine here that has exactly the same problems. When
> running Netscape (local) or Interleaf (on a Sun, displaying it's window
> on the Linux machine) the Linux box simply stops responding to keyboard input
> or mouse clicks - the mouse keeps moving, but the mouse pointer doesn't change
> anymore. The Linux machine is still accessible using remote login, and it's
> almost idling.
> When the problem occured while running Interleaf, killing Interleaf on the
> Sun instantly brings the Linux machine back to life as if nothing had hapened.
> The problem is easily reproducable using Interleaf.
> Maybe Netscape and Interleaf are doing something wrong and XFree 86 fails
> to protect itself adequatly?

I have seen a similar problem using Netscape on an RS6000.  I was using the right
button to go backwards, and the screen changed at exactly the same time as I pressed
the right button.  The RS6000's X-server went into a spasm of some kind, with the
mouse pointer changed to the one used for the right button menus ( arrow pointing
 up+right ), and it refused to accept clicks or keypresses.  Telnetting in from
another box and killing Netscape immediately restores functionality.  Netscape
problem????

Note that my experience has practically nothing to do with Linux, as I am running
the AIX Netscape binary. ( Although I saw this same problem running the Linux
binary displaying on the RS6000)

Rogan
--

"All power corrupts, but we need electricity." - fortune

1. xfree86 bug? (or java bug?)

I have a java applet that can draw outside of its own rectangle.
Unfortunately, the lines keep on going out of the application's frame!
(Navigator 3.0)  I've posted the details (and a screenshot) here:

http://xxx.screaming.org/

Can somebody tell me if X11R6 should be responsible for clipping out of
an application's bounds?

2. Seyon communications package

3. Weird xfree86 bug

4. Vanishing tty's

5. mouse offset: xfree86 bug?

6. NIC card

7. xv or xfree86 bug

8. Nebie trouble ===> Trouble with ToolTalk

9. XFree86 bug

10. Workaround for XFree86 bug

11. XFree86 Bug verification on ATI Rage128 and ATI Radeon cards

12. XFree86 bug

13. XFree86 4.0 - Strange Term-bug