How to turn off kloged and syslogd in my Linux?

Post by Paul Flinder » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Deat All:
> How to turn off kloged and syslogd in my Linux?
> I don't hope kloged and syslogd running  in my startup.
> regards

Please learn the difference between crossposting and posting to
multiple groups.

This varies with distribution - on a RedHat system you would remove the
S30syslog link from /etc/rc.d/rc2.d, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
and /etc/rc.d/rc4.d.

This is only advisable on a laptop and the better option on a laptop
is to create a ramdisk and mount in on /var/log.

Post by Mike McDona » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>> Deat All:
>> How to turn off kloged and syslogd in my Linux?
>> I don't hope kloged and syslogd running  in my startup.
>> regards

> Please learn the difference between crossposting and posting to
> multiple groups.

> This varies with distribution - on a RedHat system you would remove the
> S30syslog link from /etc/rc.d/rc2.d, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
> and /etc/rc.d/rc4.d.

> This is only advisable on a laptop and the better option on a laptop
> is to create a ramdisk and mount in on /var/log.

  A better solution is to use chkconfig to turn it off, instead of removing
the link. chkconfig will make sure you don't miss a link and will be able to
turn it back on later if you so decide.

  Mike McDonald

How to turn off kloged and syslogd in my Linux?

Deat All: