SCSI and DEVFS developers read this: problems with 2 SCSI controllers

SCSI and DEVFS developers read this: problems with 2 SCSI controllers

Post by Boszormenyi Zolta » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have a Diamond Fireport 40 card and a parallel port ZIP.
I compiled the BSD NCR driver into the kernel and the PPA
driver into module. Now I cannot autoload the PPA.

The same happens also when I compile the SCSI mid level driver
and the SCSI Disk driver statically and the PPA driver
as module.

The kernel version is 2.1.106 but as I see the sources of
2.0.3x the problem is there as well.

I came up with an idea that could solve this problem.
The low level SCSI drivers should be split into two
parts: one that registers the card at compile time
into a table and the actual SCSI driver can be loaded
on demand. Now only one SCSI driver can be autoloaded.
(The one aliased as scsi_hostadapter in /etc/conf.modules)

I tried the devfs patch on Linux 2.1.106 and its location
based device tree (/dev/s[dgrt]/cCbBtTpP) fits well here.
BTW devfs still has problems. I tried the following:
0. I switched on my ZIP and put a disk in it.
1. insmod ppa
2. ls /dev/sd (c0b0t6* appeared)
3. mount/umount, mtools works with this device name
4. rmmod ppa
5. the entries in /dev/sd does not disappear
6. mount/mtools don't work (no autoload!)
7. insmod ppa
8. remove disk form ZIP
9. mdir: the kernel says no disk, and the c0b0t6p4 disappears,
   (partition 4, an ordinary DOS ZIP disk)
   the disk which represents the whole disk stays.
10. insert disk
11. the particular partition entries does not reappear until
    I do a 'dd if=/dev/sd/c0b0t6 of=/dev/null'

So as I see, devfs would be very good at dealing with multiple
SCSI controllers but the SCSI driver architecture in Linux
(as it is now) cannot properly deal with them.

Zoltan Boszormenyi

Post by Andreas Mo » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have a Diamond Fireport 40 card and a parallel port ZIP.
> I compiled the BSD NCR driver into the kernel and the PPA
> driver into module. Now I cannot autoload the PPA.

Same with me.
Since I've bought an NCR875 clone, PPA autoloading doesn't work any more.
(at least since about 2.1.8x)

--
Andreas Mohr

1. One SCSI controller is not recognized with another SCSI controller

Hello,

I have an ISA SCSI controller (AHA1522B) to which Iomega Jaz external
and Plextor SCSI CD-ROM internal are attached and a PCI SCSI (AHA2940UW)
with two wide hard drives attached (C:, D:).

When I tried to boot from Debian Linux (Debian GNU/Linux 1.2.2), the
first SCSI controller (AHA1522B) was not recognized, but AHA2940UW was.
I disabled the bios of AHA1522B in vain. I tried with Slackware Linux
with the same result.

I can connect the CD-ROM to AHA2940UW, but I have Jaz still on the
AHA1522B since AHA2940UW works that way.

Please let me know if there is any way I can use both of the controllers
or I can use all of the devices (Wide SCSI H/Ds, SCSI CD-ROM, SCSI Jaz)
on the AHA2940UW..

Sincerely,
DH.
--
Dong Hwan Nam
#18-1 2/6 Bu-Won Dong, Kim-Hae Si, Kyong-Nam, Seoul, Korea

Tel: 011-82-525-25-3563/33-8829, Fax: 011-82-525-25-3563

2. HELP! - proftp configuration?

3. devfs (4/7) - cleanup devfs use in scsi

4. Dial up with Debian 2.2

5. Problem with Wangtek SCSI Tape streamer with DPT SCSI controller.

6. PPP script redials? and automation?

7. Can Linux use AHA1522 SCSI? (Was: SCSI Controller)

8. good c editor ?

9. SIIG SCSI Controller SCSI-PRO VL

10. Help with SIIG, Inc. SCSI-PRO SCSI Controller

11. SCSI->SCSI raid 5 controller?

12. recommendation scsi CD-R drive and accompanying scsi controller

13. Installing Linux with SCSI CD Rom Adaptec AIC-6x60 SCSI Controller