Ver. 2.0.0 recompile on boot unresolved symbols errors

Ver. 2.0.0 recompile on boot unresolved symbols errors

Post by Thomas L. Gossar » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello,
I've just gotten my new version of Linux.  Slackware (the 4 disk set).  I
have kernel ver. 2.0.0.

The error is on booting, just after the kernal checks /proc and prior to
checking lp I get several errors of the following type:

   *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.0/cdrom/sbpcd.o

and several others in the /cdrom dir and other dirs.  As I'm compiling the
new kernel there are no error messages, not even a warning.  I have checked
that /usr/src/linux/include/linux is linked to /usr/include/linux and
/usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 is linked to /usr/include/asm.  Prior to
compiling I do a 'make mrproper', 'make config', and 'make dep'.  The I do a
'make zImage', ren the old vmlinuz to something, copy the new image to root,
do a 'lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf' and reboot.  The worst part of all to me is
that the unresolved symbols are in modules that I don't even want.  When I
do a make config I answer 'y' to the question about including support for
cdu31a cdrom drive non of the others.  I specificly do not include any scsi
support and on boot up I get errors in scsi modules.

Once the system is up it appears to work fine but the errors irratate me on
boot up.  I've done this with every version I have to include support for my
cdrom and sound-blaster.  I've have never gotten such errors.

Also is there a way to trap the errors?  dmesg does not show them and they
scroll by to fast to read all of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Thomas L. Gossard

Post by Sid Boyc » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,
> I've just gotten my new version of Linux.  Slackware (the 4 disk set).  I
> have kernel ver. 2.0.0.

> The error is on booting, just after the kernal checks /proc and prior to
> checking lp I get several errors of the following type:

>    *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.0/cdrom/sbpcd.o

> and several others in the /cdrom dir and other dirs.  As I'm compiling the
> new kernel there are no error messages, not even a warning.  I have checked
> that /usr/src/linux/include/linux is linked to /usr/include/linux and
> /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 is linked to /usr/include/asm.  Prior to
> compiling I do a 'make mrproper', 'make config', and 'make dep'.  The I do a
> 'make zImage', ren the old vmlinuz to something, copy the new image to root,
> do a 'lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf' and reboot.  The worst part of all to me is
> that the unresolved symbols are in modules that I don't even want.  When I
> do a make config I answer 'y' to the question about including support for
> cdu31a cdrom drive non of the others.  I specificly do not include any scsi
> support and on boot up I get errors in scsi modules.

> Once the system is up it appears to work fine but the errors irratate me on
> boot up.  I've done this with every version I have to include support for my
> cdrom and sound-blaster.  I've have never gotten such errors.

> Also is there a way to trap the errors?  dmesg does not show them and they
> scroll by to fast to read all of them.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you.
> Thomas L. Gossard

        hmmmm...confused slightly. make zImage, then cp arch/i386/boot/zImage
/vmlinuz or whatever, edit /etc/lilo.conf to pick up what you've called
the new zImage, then run lilo. You have compiled and installed new
modules, in /lib/modules/2.0.0/misc or net and you have insmod for them
in your startup scripts, the only problem would be that you need to
install the modules-2.0.0 package.
Regards
--

                   -----------------------------------
Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent

Ver. 2.0.0 recompile on boot unresolved symbols errors

Post by Tim Clark » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have the same problem (see below...Tim Clarke RE: Compiling Kernel
Source Problems), and have the same queries, so if anyone can please
help, I would be grateful (as well as anyone else with this problem...)

Regards

1. lib/modules/2.0.32/cm206 Unresolved symbol -- Error at boot time ???

lib/modules/2.0.32/cm206 Unresolved symbol -- Error at boot time ???

Please Help !!!
I recompiled my KERNEL to support SMP.
It works great, but, after doing:

        make config
        make zImage
        make clean
        make dep
        make modules
        make mdules_install
        edit lilo.conf ( to add the zImage )
        lilo

I rebooted and got many many many module errors:

lib/modules/2.0.32/xx  Unresolved symbol
lib/modules/2.0.32/ xx Unresolved symbol
lib/modules/2.0.32/ xx Unresolved symbol
lib/modules/2.0.32/ xx Unresolved symbol
lib/modules/2.0.32/xx  Unresolved symbol

where xx is the module name.
Any idea what am I doing wrong ?
why can't my KERNEL find the modules ?

2. Linux DoS attack triggered by Y2K?

3. 2.4 oprofile patches

4. "Unresolved symbols" error on boot...

5. 2 NIC in same IP segment

6. help:unresolved symbols errors during boot

7. Help, pls! /dev/parport read/write

8. lib/modules/2.0.32/cm206 Unresolved symbol -- Error at boot time ???

9. Unresolved symbol errors on boot after kernel compile

10. recompiling kernel keep getting unresolved symbols

11. unresolved symbol(s) after recompiled kernel !

12. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile