redirection /dev/dsp to/from another sysetm

redirection /dev/dsp to/from another sysetm

Post by Gu » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'd like to setup one of my systems as an audio server, so that I don't need to
buy some more sound cards. I just wrote a quick pair of programs. I made
/dev/dsp a named pipe, and just send all input across the network to the server
(via tcp), which writes it to the /dev/dsp on the server. This almost works,
beleive it or not :)

The problem is that I can't do a few nice things, like setting the sampling
rate. When I run xanim on the client, I get these messages:

Linux Audio: Error setting mono
Linux Audio: Error getting buf size
Linux_Audio: err setting freq 56ee

I then watch a movie that's playing about 4 times as fast as the sound :(
Does anyone have suggestions as to how I could fix this rather annoying
problem? Sun wants a couple hundred dollars for a 16-bit audio module for my
SS4, and I'd really preffer to use that money elsewhere

Thanks.

--
Justin (Gus) Hurwitz

Co-President Electronic Information Systems
8758 Brook Road  --  Mclean, *ia 22102

-----PGP PUBLIC KEY AVAILABLE-----

redirection /dev/dsp to/from another sysetm

Post by Phil Ro » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone have suggestions as to how I could fix this rather annoying
>problem? Sun wants a couple hundred dollars for a 16-bit audio module for my
>SS4, and I'd really preffer to use that money elsewhere

        I think NCD has a network audio system.  In fact I think it is
called nas.  I played around with it on Solaris a couple months ago and
they have versions for Solaris, Linux, and few other Unices.  Look on
their site...they distribute the source code.  Supposedly, it even works
with their hardware Xterminals but I havent tried it myself.

                                                                -Phil

Post by GREGORY BAST » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: I'd like to setup one of my systems as an audio server, so that I don't need to
: buy some more sound cards. I just wrote a quick pair of programs. I made
: /dev/dsp a named pipe, and just send all input across the network to the server
: (via tcp), which writes it to the /dev/dsp on the server. This almost works,
: beleive it or not :)

Are you doing this for hack-value or do want the end-product?
mentioning Sun's solution makes me think you want the latter, in which case,
I ought mention the Network Audio System, which _seems_ to be what you want.
It runs on my Debian linux box, (so, no doubt, any linux box)
and I _think_ it's a cross platform thing (dunno).
It was a standard package in my install, so you ought be able to find
source at sunsite, or a binary if you have a linux box with some kind
of package manager.
I hope this is suitable for you, else : happy hacking!!

-Greg(mmmmmmm, networked portishead)

Post by Rutger Nijlunsin » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> : I'd like to setup one of my systems as an audio server, so that I don't need to
> : buy some more sound cards. I just wrote a quick pair of programs. I made
> : /dev/dsp a named pipe, and just send all input across the network to the server
> : (via tcp), which writes it to the /dev/dsp on the server. This almost works,
> : beleive it or not :)

? Won't things like:

machine1:   socket 7000 >/dev/dsp
machine2:   cat /dev/dsp | socket machine1 7000

work already?

(don't have man socket here, so it's off the top of my head)

socket is in RHCont?/socket*.rpm and socket.deb somewhere I don't
know...

--

M38c

K-
     W--- M- !V -po+ Y t !5 !j r+ !G v-- b++ D++ b--- e+ u- h f+(*) r !n
y?
Computing Science Student ------------------------- University of
Groningen

1. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

After I compiled all the necessary components
for sound support for my sound card, I have happy
to say linux detects my sound card...but there is
one problem I am as of yet unable to use the card..
since the necessary devices in /dev were never made...

In newere kernel releases the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux which contained a
script at the end of file which created the dev files
is no longer present.  Could someone tell me where this
file is now located?  Or where I can find a script to
create the dev files?

thanks.

2. select on stdin at EOF

3. 2.2.1 and /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

4. FIPS problem

5. sync /dev/dsp & /dev/sequencer?

6. LaTeX on Skunkware

7. /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer??

8. Linux/awk

9. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in kernel 2.2.6?

10. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

11. Sound config: /dev/audio vs /dev/dsp

12. /dev/dsp + /dev/dsp1 (HOW?)

13. /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer