enabling Cyrix 486 DLC cache

Post by Michal Szymans » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

I've upgraded several old 386s running Linux to a Cyrix 486DLC.
The motherboards are old and do not provide settings for enabling
the internal cache of the DLC. I know there is a kernel patch to
do this but I've also heard that there is a standalone program
to be run in rc.local. I would prefer this way of doing that so
if anybody knows the pointer to this program, please e-mail me.

regards, Michal.

  Al. Ujazdowskie 4                   Voice:    48-22-6294011 ext 23
  00-478 Warszawa, POLAND             FAX:      48-22-6294967

Post by Edwin L » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>I've upgraded several old 386s running Linux to a Cyrix 486DLC.
>The motherboards are old and do not provide settings for enabling
>the internal cache of the DLC. I know there is a kernel patch to
>do this but I've also heard that there is a standalone program
>to be run in rc.local. I would prefer this way of doing that so
>if anybody knows the pointer to this program, please e-mail me.

It is in sunsite and mirrors, under the directory kernel/patches.
File is called CxPatch030.tar.z.  As far as I know, the standalone
program you are refering to is a kernel module, which you can
insmod and rmmod in rc.local.  Both the kernel patch and module
version should be in that file.

Cheers,
e.
Edwin _Lim_ Aun Whei  | U of Calif., Irvine   |  Never let truth stand in the

enabling Cyrix 486 DLC cache

Post by m.j.nobl » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

Is there a linux program to enable the advanced features of the 5x86
processors ?

Currently i do this from dos before booting linux, but would like a linux
prog to do this

Matt

enabling Cyrix 486 DLC cache

Post by m.j.nobl » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

I found the Cyrix internal cache enabling utility on sunsite under
/linux/kernel/patches

Post by Edwin L » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

>I found the Cyrix internal cache enabling utility on sunsite under
>/linux/kernel/patches

No, that patch is for a different CPU and just for internal cache.  But
nice try though :-)  The one that is relevant to Cyrix 5x86 is in

ftp://karman.gcc.edu/pub/Cx5x86Patch002a.tar.gz

It is not a kernel patch proper, just a kernel module.  But it does the
trick.  I will fix it up for a final version and stick it in sunsite
for sure this weekend, since I can, at last, get away, albeit for just
a little, from my research...  Wow!  What a sentence!  8^)

If you have problem inserting the module, edit the .c files and move
the line #include <linux/config.h> to the top of the file.  If that
still does not work, contact me.

Cheers and good luck!

Post by Shane Anderso » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

> >I found the Cyrix internal cache enabling utility on sunsite under
> >/linux/kernel/patches

> No, that patch is for a different CPU and just for internal cache.  But
> nice try though :-)  The one that is relevant to Cyrix 5x86 is in

> ftp://karman.gcc.edu/pub/Cx5x86Patch002a.tar.gz

> It is not a kernel patch proper, just a kernel module.  But it does the
> trick.  I will fix it up for a final version and stick it in sunsite
> for sure this weekend, since I can, at last, get away, albeit for just
> a little, from my research...  Wow!  What a sentence!  8^)

> If you have problem inserting the module, edit the .c files and move
> the line #include <linux/config.h> to the top of the file.  If that
> still does not work, contact me.

> Cheers and good luck!
> e.
> --

I know this is a bit off topic for Linux--I'll be trying that module soon and I
don't see why it shouldn't be put into the kernel source at some point--the
/proc/cpuinfo could be updated in conjunction to it.

But what I'm really wondering is where can I find that DOS util for enabling the
5x86 features.

And on general question about the 5x86--Is it better to optimize for 486 or Pentium
when compiling with gcc? (e.g. compiling the kernel.)

=Shane Anderson===========Nonvolatile Electronics, Inc.===

enabling Cyrix 486 DLC cache

Post by Edwin L » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I know this is a bit off topic for Linux--I'll be trying that module soon and I
>don't see why it shouldn't be put into the kernel source at some point--the
>/proc/cpuinfo could be updated in conjunction to it.

Well, I must admit that I do not have the technical expertise to have the
last word on it, but from my angle, I see a little problem:

The Cyrix 5x86 has lots of switches and not all optimization works for all
motherboards, even those boards that are 'blessed' by Cyrix.  So it is
tough to have a fixed setting that makes everyone happy, i.e., if some
optimization are dropped, it might make some boards slower than it can
really be, but if those optimization are included, it will make other
boards hang, making people even more unhappy :-(  Whatever optimization
that can be done safely _should_ already be in the BIOS setup, although
in real life that is not always true, especially for the Cx5x86.

Thus, at this stage kernel module is the best solution, IMHO.  Unless
somebody else has a better idea.  The other thing that I am looking to
fix is the /proc tree--to have it recognize the Cyrix 5x86.  I should
read the Kernel Hacker's Guide for more info, really, but at this stage
I just want to get the next version of the module out that is more
user friendly.

Quote:>But what I'm really wondering is where can I find that DOS util for enabling the
>5x86 features.

There are a few--try

http://www.x86.org/4p
ftp://compnt.cs.unp.ac.za/uploads/Cyrix/5x86b9.zip

They are shareware, so you are obliged to pay for them.  My kernel module
is free ;-)

Quote:>And on general question about the 5x86--Is it better to optimize for 486 or Pentium
>when compiling with gcc? (e.g. compiling the kernel.)

I would guess 486 optimization is closer.

Cheers,
e.
Edwin _Lim_ Aun Whei  | U of Calif., Irvine   |  Never let truth stand in the

enabling Cyrix 486 DLC cache

Post by m.j.nobl » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

Try;

http://www.dfw.net/~sdw/cxstuff.html

1. Cyrix 486 DLC cache activation

  Does anyone know of a program that will activate the Cyrix 486 DLC internal
cache without patching the kernel (something I can just run at startup)?
I tried the kernel patch but it wouldn't work, just kept giving me some
"rejected chunk" error message or something like that.  I'm currently
running Slackware 1.0.8.

Thanks,

--Nolan Wall

2. MRPF

3. Enabling L1 cache on Cyrix 386-to-486 upgrade processors under Linux -- CxPatch still needed?

4. Installing 2 network cards

5. how to enabling cache on a TI/cyrix 486 chip

6. sendmail - HELP !!!

7. Linux and Cyrix 486 DLC

8. Transtor T13B

9. Linux on Cyrix 486/40 DLC ...

10. Cyrix 486 caching

11. Cyrix 486-33/66 Clock Doubler Cache/Linux

12. cyrix 486 cache...

13. [Fwd: Re: CyrixDLC 486 cache enabling]