kernel: Ignoring P6 Local APIC Spurious Interrupt Bug...

kernel: Ignoring P6 Local APIC Spurious Interrupt Bug...

Post by George » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I just re-compilied the kernel(2.0.27) on my redhat4.1 system
with the following hardware:
Dual PPro180(Asus P/I -P65UP5 motherboard)
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller
Pioneer 10x CDROM
Quantum XP34500W hard disk
2 Matrox Millenium 4MB cards(one VGA disabled for dual-head)
SB16 sound card, PS/2 mouse and MS keyboard.

I'm getting the following message in /var/log/messages

   kernel: Ignoring P6 Local APIC Spurious Interrupt Bug...

The system runs fine except the Metro-X server freezes up every
so often. I'm wondering if the above might be the culprit.
Just a guess so far.......

Thanks for any info,

-geergev

George Velamparampil  --
Software Development Group -- NCSA -- University of Illinois, Urbana

Post by Leonard N. Zubkof » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

  I just re-compilied the kernel(2.0.27) on my redhat4.1 system
  with the following hardware:
  Dual PPro180(Asus P/I -P65UP5 motherboard)
  Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller
  Pioneer 10x CDROM
  Quantum XP34500W hard disk
  2 Matrox Millenium 4MB cards(one VGA disabled for dual-head)
  SB16 sound card, PS/2 mouse and MS keyboard.

  I'm getting the following message in /var/log/messages

     kernel: Ignoring P6 Local APIC Spurious Interrupt Bug...

  The system runs fine except the Metro-X server freezes up every
  so often. I'm wondering if the above might be the culprit.
  Just a guess so far.......

It's not likely to be related.  The above message means that a suprious
interrupt was delivered to the CPU as exception 15 rather than interrupt
15, and the kernel is ignoring it rather than killing the current prcoess
as it used to a while back.

                Leonard

Post by Ingo Molna » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: I'm getting the following message in /var/log/messages

:    kernel: Ignoring P6 Local APIC Spurious Interrupt Bug...

thats a bug in certain P6's.

for you Matrox problem you might want to try the new (and fast!!!)
server in XFree86 3.2A. If still freezes, then i would suspect
hardware problems.

-- mingo

Post by George » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: : I'm getting the following message in /var/log/messages

: :    kernel: Ignoring P6 Local APIC Spurious Interrupt Bug...

: thats a bug in certain P6's.

: for you Matrox problem you might want to try the new (and fast!!!)
: server in XFree86 3.2A. If still freezes, then i would suspect
: hardware problems.

: -- mingo

Beleive I would but I haven't seen dual video card/Monitor support
under the XFree86 servers......If there is support I will definitely
switch....currently I have two Millinieums and my only option is to
run Metro-X(comes with redhat) or Xinside($299!).

thanks for the feed back....

-georgev