Modularizing kernel

Post by Daniel Louis Pott » Mon, 03 Apr 1995 05:00:00

Hey, I'd like some info on taking the kernel and modularlizing
EVERYTHING. This would be a very nice thing.. reconfigure real time with
no reboots, no recompiles, nothing. Main kernel recompiles taking 5 min..
ack makes me drool! But I can't find any information on the subject. All
I can find are some modularized drivers in the kernel, which all use
different methods of modularization. I'd like to take a few modules that
aren't modularized in the kernel i'm using and do so to see how easily it
can be done. I'd like to take everything except the base kernel (mm,
arch/*,etc) and put them as modules like they are in DOS/os2/mac/etc..

IMHO the kernel itself should be distributed this way so that you compile
a base kernel, with a few configs for options you have to have to boot up,
then compile the rest as modules and install as you please. It would also
HEAVILY decrease the size of the distributed kernel source tree..  Perhaps
all those drivers that most people don't use (ie, I don't use anything but
the ne2000 net drivers, so why should i have to wait for them to download,
and compile? Someone else might not want the ne2000 driver) could be
distributed separately. That way you could download and compile only the
drivers you need.

If someone is willing to give me the info I am more than willing to
assist in this conversion of all the kernel parts to modules.

If anyone knows where to find a HOWTO, FAQ, or anything like that on
using the modules tools in linux please tell me! Please email..

Thanks!

UNT Box 6909                                              Denton, TX 76203

Modularizing kernel

Post by Mihai Manoles » Fri, 14 Apr 1995 04:00:00

the SLS 1.05 had such a modularized kernel (derived from 0.99pl15).
i used it and i was very happy to it. unfortunately that was the
only modularized kernel i saw. that was exactely one year ago.
some people failed to use it but it worked for me ok. there was also
a big patch supposed to turn a kernel into a modularized one. but
i think it is out of date now.

mmihai

        Mihai-Costin Manolescu          | address:
 email:                                 | str Arh Stef Burcus, nr 16

                                        | fax/data: +40-(1)-6181681

mmihai

1. Modularizing kernel

i've just upgraded from 1.1.59 to 1.2.0. it seems that from 1.1.83 or
so you can buil a sort of modular kernel. i haven't (yet) tryed it.

good luck,

mmihai

        Mihai-Costin Manolescu          | address:
 email:                                 | str Arh Stef Burcus, nr 16

                                        | fax/data: +40-(1)-6181681

mmihai

2. Unix as a user process

3. Modularized kernel?

4. For logintime Setup failed

5. Problem with modularizing Kernel

6. Install problem r/hat 6.0, missing kerneld

7. Patches for a Load-Modularized kernel

8. SiS 746fx agp

9. modularized kernel dies at: VFS: Mounting root fs .....

10. Correct way to compile a modularized kernel under RH 4.1?

11. to modularize or not to modularize....

12. To modularize or to not to modularize

13. Some modularized problems and thoughts