Root is mounted -- how how you mount root to another drive?

Root is mounted -- how how you mount root to another drive?

Post by Greml » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have linux 2.0.32
I have linux on /dev/hda2 with all of the goodies (/bin, /etc, /sbin,
/lib) normal fs
I have linux on /dev/hdc2 with the same stuff (the basic stuff is the
same)
when the kernel comes up /dev/hda2 is mounted as root.

what i want to do:

I want to unmount /dev/hda2 and mount /dev/hdc2 as root.

Does anyone know how to do this?

what i tried to do:
init 1
mount -n -o ro,remount /
mount -n -o rw,remount /dev/hdc2 /

[ that didn't work! ]

1. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

"That should do it.  I hope this was not to long an explaination, but
"I want you to have a fell for what you are doing before doing it.

"Now as to why...
"Most multitasking multiuser Operation system do not let users
"access the mount command.  Linux makes it possible for users
"to use the command, but doesn't give the privilage to automatically.
"Root has to set the priv on a per device basis.

   ... oh wow.  that was great.  thanks ...

"it's not what you see ,
 but in stead notice."

http://www.aniota.com/~twhite

2. Can I have linux !?

3. newbie seeks facts: dual boot window2 2000/rh7 over scsi disks and adaptec 29160N card

4. mounting root partition from root floppy diskette

5. Can Syslogd send mails?

6. Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

7. Why prolong the agony? Just get Windows 95...you'll be glad (you don't have a choice)

8. NEWBIE: Unable to mount root fs on 8:25 : what am I doing wrong?

9. root filesystem mounts readonly but nothing else mounts

10. why can only root mount my ZIP drive

11. system with both IDE and SCSI drives - unable to mount root FS

12. User (non root) ZIP drive mounting program?