Does the IDE-SCSI driver support CDDA for ATAPI CDROMs ?

Does the IDE-SCSI driver support CDDA for ATAPI CDROMs ?

Post by Ricardo Ferreira aka Stor » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I used it with the IDE-ATAPI driver, but now i tested it in IDE-SCSI
mode and it appears not to work :(

Its important because as i'm getting an ATAPI CDRW i'm gonna have to
turn on IDE-SCSI for it to be supoorted by cdrecord and xcdroast.

And also cdda is great for making mp3 out of cds. No mixer settings in
the way, just plain digital data :)

Thanks
--

/__   /  /  //__/ /| /| ICQ UIN : 7105574
__/  /  /__//  \ / |/ | WWW     : http://homepage.esoterica.pt/~storm/

Does the IDE-SCSI driver support CDDA for ATAPI CDROMs ?

Post by Daniel R Risache » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Yes.  I have used cdda2wav with both the ide-cd and ide-scsi modules
without problems.  The only problem that I have had with ide-scsi is
that it does not translate PLAYTRKIND ioctl's into PLAYMSF ioctl's.
(the ide-cd driver does do this)

Some (maybe all) ATAPI cdroms (both of mine, anyway) do not support
PLAYTRKIND, and thus applications (such as `cdplay') that use this ioctl
will not work with the ide-scsi module.

Adding the missing translation feature to ide-scsi is left as an
exercise for the reader.  I worked it for an evening, but didn't
finish it.

Oh, BTW, it was sometimes non-obvious what the correct device name is
for the drive with ide-scsi.  Under some kernels, (<= 2.1.79, I think)
my two drives were scd0 and scd1, but lately (>= 2.1.82) they are scd0
and scd8.  I had to MAKEDEV scd8 to access it.

-Daniel Risacher

    Ricardo> I used it with the IDE-ATAPI driver, but now i tested it
    Ricardo> in IDE-SCSI mode and it appears not to work :(

    Ricardo> Its important because as i'm getting an ATAPI CDRW i'm
    Ricardo> gonna have to turn on IDE-SCSI for it to be supoorted by
    Ricardo> cdrecord and xcdroast.

Post by Ricardo Ferreira aka Stor » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Yes.  I have used cdda2wav with both the ide-cd and ide-scsi modules
> without problems.  The only problem that I have had with ide-scsi is
> that it does not translate PLAYTRKIND ioctl's into PLAYMSF ioctl's.
> (the ide-cd driver does do this)

Weird. I used cdda with cdparanoia with no problems with ide-cd but
cannot use it with ide-scsi. The same goes for AudioCD copying in
xcdroast. It just starts writing the data to disc but the cd drive
doesn't start to spin so it writes all zeros.

 About PLAYTRKIND i have not yet encountered a program that uses it i
guess.

--

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> Yes.  I have used cdda2wav with both the ide-cd and ide-scsi modules
>> without problems.  The only problem that I have had with ide-scsi is
>> that it does not translate PLAYTRKIND ioctl's into PLAYMSF ioctl's.
>> (the ide-cd driver does do this)

>Weird. I used cdda with cdparanoia with no problems with ide-cd but
>cannot use it with ide-scsi. The same goes for AudioCD copying in
>xcdroast. It just starts writing the data to disc but the cd drive
>doesn't start to spin so it writes all zeros.

> About PLAYTRKIND i have not yet encountered a program that uses it i
>guess.

The Standard CD-ROM driver in Linux is too dumb. It seems not to support
the new (1 Year) MMC drives. If it would support them, it would support ATAPI
CD-ROM drives too.

The actual cdda2wav which uses my SCSI transport library should work with ATAPI drives.

I have a copy in the cdrecord alpha directory

        ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unic/cdrecord/alpha

Joerg

--

1. ATAPI cdrom cdda not supported for some cdrom drive?

TAPI cdrom cdda not supported for some cdrom drive?

Hi, There,
  I have a ATAPI IDE cdrom that I wish to get the
cdda2wav working. ont the same machine, I have a
scsi cdrom and I was able to get the data from it.
but I have difficulty extracting data from the
IDE cdrom. I have linux 2.0.33 kernel and have the
IDE cdrom driver compiled and I also have the
ssound blaster driver compiled. I am able to mount
data cdrom on the ide cdrom drive. but can't extract audio data
from it. I tried to use:
cdda2wav -D /dev/cdrom temp.wav
for the ide atapi cdrom and it complained that the cdrom
or driver doesn't support cdda. can anybody tell me the
problem ? I tried to figure out how to put the cdda support into
the driver but can't see the option in the driver feature list.
(2.0.33 kernel), or simply my cdrom hardware is to be blamed ?
can any body tell me what to do ?
Jinsong

2. compiling a kernle -O2 -fexpensive-optimizations

3. New linux box. What GFX card?

4. ide-cd driver and ATAPI-IDE CDROM

5. Old Projects + GUI's

6. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

7. Newbie: Linux/NT on server,WFW 3.11 on client

8. CDDA with IDE-SCSI emulation

9. ide-scsi emulation, ok...but how to play cdda?

10. CDDA to WAV for ATAPI-CDROM

11. Reading CDDA off a SCSI emulated ATAPI Drive

12. Does BSD 2.2.2 version support IDE/ATAPI CDROM(Nec x16)?