Suggestion: JFS in Linux possible ?

Post by Juergen Sau » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi World of Linuxxers!

Do you think it is possible to develop:

ext3 Filesystem with these options:
        - multiple partitions merged into one fs
        - multiple devices merged into one fs
        - compression enable/disable for a directory/tree
          (could be interested for News-Server)
        ===> according to IBM's AIX jfs
        - crypting enable/disable for a directory/tree  $(HOME)
          using the users system password, or extended key based on
        - transaction logging
        - security log facility (to get C2 security level?)

What do you thik about ?

Greetings
        J. Sauer

=*Schneckenpost*SlowMail=+=======*Telefon=====+==*eMails*FastMail==========

28790 Schwanewede/Germany  FAX  +49 4209 5217   CI$: 100013,1564

PS: Der Dt. Telekom und der Fa. Microsoft ist es untersagt,  diese
    Mitteilung oder Teile derselben innerhalb Ihrer On-line Dienste
    zu speichern und/oder weiter zu verbreiten. Ein Verstoss gegen
    diese Bestimmung stellt einen Verstoss gegen die Urheberrechte
    des Authors dar und wird juristische Folgen haben. Dies ist
    meine Reaktion auf das Monopolstreben und Tarifstrukturen
    dieser Unternehmen.

Post by Cees de Gro » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Hi World of Linuxxers!

>Do you think it is possible to develop:

>ext3 Filesystem with these options:
>    - multiple partitions merged into one fs
>    - multiple devices merged into one fs

I think this is very important - make sure it is dynamic, of course, so you
can extend filesystems while they are mounted. I haven't got a clue where
to start (probably from scratch, borrowing from ext2 on the way), it has
been some time since I delved into filesystems. But I think it should be
very doable.

The rest of your list contains stuff that IMHO doesn't belong in the kernel.
It is very well possible to emulate this with user-level crypting or
compressing filesystems, like CFS. Too much bloat...

--

OpenLink Software, Inc.

Post by Arthur D. Jeriji » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>Hi World of Linuxxers!

>>Do you think it is possible to develop:

>>ext3 Filesystem with these options:
>>        - multiple partitions merged into one fs
>>        - multiple devices merged into one fs

>I think this is very important - make sure it is dynamic, of course, so you
>can extend filesystems while they are mounted. I haven't got a clue where
>to start (probably from scratch, borrowing from ext2 on the way), it has
>been some time since I delved into filesystems. But I think it should be
>very doable.

        Doesn't the md device in Linux 1.3.69 do this already?

>The rest of your list contains stuff that IMHO doesn't belong in the kernel.
>It is very well possible to emulate this with user-level crypting or
>compressing filesystems, like CFS. Too much bloat...

>--

>OpenLink Software, Inc.

                        Arthur Dikran Jerijian
         UCLA Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering

          World Wide Web: http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~jerijian