Found+fixed bug libc 4.6.27 - please comment

Found+fixed bug libc 4.6.27 - please comment

Post by Mike Kenne » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00



I have not crossposted because I am not sure where
to cross post.  I found and have "fixed" a bug in libc
4.6.27 - came with slackware 4.6.27.

This bug arises when one is NOT runnin NIS (yp).  There
maybe a better fix.  Also if the developer(s) of libc
could either incorporate this fix or better I would be
happy.  The bug is probably in the later version in addition
to this one.  Here is the context diff

diff -rc libc-linux.orig/yp/yplib.c libc-linux/yp/yplib.c
*** libc-linux.orig/yp/yplib.c  Fri May 27 14:34:43 1994
--- libc-linux/yp/yplib.c       Tue Jun  6 15:48:32 1995
***************
*** 812,821 ****
  __yp_check (char **dom)
  {
    char *unused;
!  
    if ('\0' == __yp_domain[0])
      if (yp_get_default_domain (&unused))
        return 0;

    if (dom)
      *dom = __yp_domain;
--- 812,823 ----
  __yp_check (char **dom)
  {
    char *unused;
!
    if ('\0' == __yp_domain[0])
      if (yp_get_default_domain (&unused))
        return 0;
+     else if(strcmp(__yp_domain,"(none)") == 0)  /*kmb1 950603*/
+          return 0;                              /*kmb1 950603*/

    if (dom)
      *dom = __yp_domain;

***************************************************************
The actual problem arises in the next several lines of code
that includes a call to __yp_bind with an arg that is not NULL
nor a null string.  yp_bind makes a call to __nis stuff which
fails with a   clnttcp  RPC not registered and then it returns
with value that seems to make "code" work but you get this annoying
msg of   clnttcp RPC ...   This shows up in login, tars, rcp, ...

Rgds


PS if some one knows a better place to post please repost
   this "news",   thanks

 
 
 

Found+fixed bug libc 4.6.27 - please comment

Post by Mihail Ioto » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00



>I have not crossposted because I am not sure where
>to cross post.  I found and have "fixed" a bug in libc
>4.6.27 - came with slackware 4.6.27.

>This bug arises when one is NOT runnin NIS (yp).  There
>maybe a better fix.  Also if the developer(s) of libc
>could either incorporate this fix or better I would be
>happy.  The bug is probably in the later version in addition
>to this one.  Here is the context diff

[patch deleted]

>***************************************************************
>The actual problem arises in the next several lines of code
>that includes a call to __yp_bind with an arg that is not NULL
>nor a null string.  yp_bind makes a call to __nis stuff which
>fails with a   clnttcp  RPC not registered and then it returns
>with value that seems to make "code" work but you get this annoying
>msg of   clnttcp RPC ...   This shows up in login, tars, rcp, ...

>Rgds



Sounds similar to the problem that I've been complaining about for years when
using mount, or showmount

mount clntudp_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Authentication error

If I have a chance, I'll try to recompile it myself and try it out.
Unfortunately I've heard that creating shared libraries is
notoriously difficult.

--
Mihail Iotov



 
 
 

Found+fixed bug libc 4.6.27 - please comment

Post by Mark Lo » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00



>If I have a chance, I'll try to recompile it myself and try it out.
>Unfortunately I've heard that creating shared libraries is
>notoriously difficult.

I just do:              ./configure
                        make

and it works, "out of the box", for 4.5.26 at least.
--

For the latest Linux kernel: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.2
For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide

 
 
 

1. libc 4.6.27 bug

I just upgraded from libc.so.4.5.26 to 4.6.27 and rebooted just
to make sure everything was happy and on booting I noticed that
it couldn't get my nfs mounts connected.  On further investigation
it appears that nslookup and any network stuff is a bit stuffed now!

i.e. nslookup works on full names and machines within my immediate
domain (math.waikato.ac.nz) but not on machines within the larger
domain of waikato.ac.nz which it used to be able to do.  I renamed
libc.so.4.6.27 to something unrecognisable by ldconfig and made
the old libc (libc.so.4.5.26) be pointed to by libc.so.4 and
rebooted and it now resolves addresses properly (as before)
so that must mean it's a bug in libc.so.4.6.27 right?

Anyone else noticed this?

Is it already well known?

--

8<--------------------------->8

Richard Shepherd.


(boring ~/.signature eh?)

2. Creative 48x "door lock" permanent on Linux RH?

3. FYI: A Bug In Libc.so.4.6.27 Causing Problem in SLIP Setup

4. 3.2.0 to 3.2.3 on /usr clients

5. bug in libc.so.4.6.27 ?

6. New enhanced version of XBBS

7. FYI: A Bug in libc.so.4.6.27 Causing Problem in SLIP Setup

8. Patch for Sendmail for Solaris 8 (x86)

9. /lib/libc.so.4.5.26 and /lib/libc.so.4.6.27

10. ldconfig: warning: /lib/libc.so.4.6.27 is not a ZMAGIC file, skipping

11. login breaks w. libc.4.6.27

12. Problems after installation of libc.4.6.27