ELF: "section attributes not supported" building libc5.0.9.

ELF: "section attributes not supported" building libc5.0.9.

Post by Salvatore Valen » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hello.

I recently installed the ELF development system (new gcc, new
binutils, libc 5.0.9, libc 4.7.2, all that stuff) using the
instructions in move_to_elf.  All of this worked great, it installed
easily, and I've built a few zillion ELF applications with no problem.
Everything except libc 5.0.9.  I have no problem with the binary
package that H.J. uploaded to tsx-11.  But, just for kicks (lets say),
I tried to rebuild it from source.  The build failed on each of the
three init files (init-misc.c, set-misc.c, mcheck-init.c.)  For each
of these files, I got the error "section attributes are not supported
for this target."  I can't even begin to guess what this error means,
or what the code that''s generating this error is supposed to do.  Has
anyone else seen this problem, and is there an easy solution?

On a completely unrelated note, is there an archive on some ftp server
of ELF patches for common programs?  (Things like "emacs", that need
to be changed slightly to compile with the ELF tools?)

Thanks.
Sal
--

/*  All opinions stated here are shared by my school, my employer, my    */
/*  friends, my family, a large group of people I've never met, the      */

Post by Steve Dunh » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: I recently installed the ELF development system (new gcc, new
: binutils, libc 5.0.9, libc 4.7.2, all that stuff) using the
: instructions in move_to_elf.  All of this worked great, it installed
: easily, and I've built a few zillion ELF applications with no
: problem.  Everything except libc 5.0.9.  I have no problem with the
: binary package that H.J. uploaded to tsx-11.  But, just for kicks
: (lets say), I tried to rebuild it from source.  The build failed on
: each of the three init files (init-misc.c, set-misc.c,
: mcheck-init.c.)  For each of these files, I got the error "section
: attributes are not supported for this target."  I can't even begin
: to guess what this error means, or what the code that''s generating
: this error is supposed to do.  Has anyone else seen this problem,
: and is there an easy solution?

It seems that the 5.0.9 source can only be built by the alpha versions
of GCC 2.7.0 (the `snapshots'), which are supposed to only be
available to the Cygnus/FSF GCC-developers group. There is someone on
the Linux GCC mailing list who said he got it to compile under 2.6.3
by changing a couple of lines, but I have deleted the message already.

: On a completely unrelated note, is there an archive on some ftp server
: of ELF patches for common programs?  (Things like "emacs", that need
: to be changed slightly to compile with the ELF tools?)

emacs-19.xx compiled effortlessly for me using the patch available on
the web page: http://sable.ox.ac.uk/~jo95004/elf.html.  Dosemu also
works, but you have to find the source to libslang, and build
libslang.a (and you have to change a line in the Makefile to ELF=1).
The web page has patches for other programs too.

Steve

Post by Doug Nichols » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

[...]

I don't have a problem with someone hoarding software this way however
it is not fair to the public to release the libraries to the public if
the public can't compile them from their sources.

And there is absolutely no excuse for it if those libraries could be
compiled by 2.6.3 by changing a couple of lines somewhere.

Doug Nicholson

Post by Joerg Pommni » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I don't have a problem with someone hoarding software this way however
>it is not fair to the public to release the libraries to the public if
>the public can't compile them from their sources.

>And there is absolutely no excuse for it if those libraries could be
>compiled by 2.6.3 by changing a couple of lines somewhere.

>Doug Nicholson

Be careful with what you post.

Please remember:

Almost everything you get for Linux is done by some people in their spare
time. They don't have to do so. Complaining that something they do seems
not fair to you is very unfair to these people (or H.J. Lu in this special
case).

If you encounter a problem do one of the following things:

a) fix it yourself or b) ask somebody who knows to fix the problem and
contribute the solution to the maintainer of the packet.

If a) or b) is not an option for you, send an exact and polite bug report
to the maintainer of the packet in question.

Best regards
    Joerg
Joerg Pommnitz, ARTe Team, IBM Scientific Center Heidelberg, Germany

   Tel. : Germany (06221) 59 3609

[...]

I think I was careful with what I wrote and I hardly consider it unfair to
anyone to complain about a procedural matter.  Furthermore, I've been using
Linux for roughly two years and this is the very first time I have complained
about anything.  Every time I run into a problem that I can't deal with
myself, it involves those libraries and the way new versions show up and
old versions disappear from the GCC directory on sunsite.

I hope everyone concerned will forgive my display of irritation at not being
able to compile publicly released sources the some people are able to
compile.

Doug Nicholson

Post by Remy CA » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>It seems that the 5.0.9 source can only be built by the alpha versions
>of GCC 2.7.0 (the `snapshots'), which are supposed to only be
>available to the Cygnus/FSF GCC-developers group. There is someone on
>the Linux GCC mailing list who said he got it to compile under 2.6.3
>by changing a couple of lines, but I have deleted the message already.

        This ``someone'' is probably me :-)

        The following patch to gcc 2.6.3 (to be applied after H.J Lu's
gcc-2.6.3-linux.diff patch) fixes the problem with section attributes:

--- gcc-2.6.3/config/i386/linux.h.orig  Mon May  1 15:50:08 1995

 #define ASM_OUTPUT_ADDR_DIFF_ELT(FILE, VALUE, REL) \
   fprintf (FILE, "\t.long _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_+[.-%s%d]\n", LPREFIX, VALUE)

+/* Assemble generic sections.
+   This is currently only used to support section attributes.  */
+
+#define ASM_OUTPUT_SECTION_NAME(FILE, NAME) \

+
 /* Indicate that jump tables go in the text section.  This is
    necessary when compiling PIC code.  */
 #define JUMP_TABLES_IN_TEXT_SECTION

        There is still a problem with an `attribute ((mode (word)))' in
gcc/libgcc2.c but I think that you can safely discard the atribute in
the source file (at least, I did and the library that I have compiled
works well).

                Remy

ELF: "section attributes not supported" building libc5.0.9.

Post by Remy CA » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>If you encounter a problem do one of the following things:

>a) fix it yourself or b) ask somebody who knows to fix the problem and
>contribute the solution to the maintainer of the packet.

        Well, I did it: two weeks before the public release of ELF libraries,
I have sent a patch against gcc 2.6.3 to enable it to compile the libraries
in the GCC list.  Unfortunately, H.J. did not want to include it in the
public release...

                Remy

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I don't have a problem with someone hoarding software this way however
>it is not fair to the public to release the libraries to the public if
>the public can't compile them from their sources.

It's certainly only temporary and there is nothing wrong with patience!

--

1. GNU "as" and "ld" not supported for X 4.0 build?

Hello,

Did anyone compile X 4.0 successfully?

My compilation failed.  make World just froze
at one moment and stayed like that for hours.
I have RH 6.0.

In the build instructions, they say
        '2.6.2          Use of GNU BinUtils *as* and *ld*
         is not supported -- period! If you have them
         installed on your system, you must rename them
         or remove them for the duration of the R6.4 build'
Well, I renamed them, but the build would not
start at all. When I restored the names, the
build started and froze in several minutes.

What bin utils did you use? How can I get as & ld
that are not GNU's?

The same question for make. They advise "If you have replaced
your system's make with GNU make, we recommend you restore
the system make for the duration of your R6.4 build."

Thanks a lot,
Minko

--
Minko Markov  -  Doctoral Student in Computer Science,
                 University of Victoria, Victoria, CANADA

office: (250) 721-8768                             home: (250) 385-1041

2. Help! Getting lilo to boot to Iomega Jaz

3. Redhat 5.1 install hangs after detectin cdrom

4. What does "Ignoring Changed Section Attribute for .modinfo" really mean?

5. nispasswd[..]: NIS+ fatal error: 19

7. RH and Netscape "can't Find Java Library"

9. "glibc" vs "libc5"?

10. picking"Display" subsections in "Screen" sections (XF86Config)

11. section "screen", subsection "display"