UNIX domain datagram sockets

Post by J.R.Willia » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I am just starting to learn about sockets programming using the book:

        Adventures in UNIX Network Applications Programmimg - WILEY

I am looking at the UNIX domain to start with.

The connectionless datagram examples work fine on SUNs but not under Linux.
connect() returns INVALID PARAMETER as does recv(). I also noticed that
recv() does not block.

Can any one tell me if Are datagram sockets fully supported in the
UNIX domain under linux?

Thanks for any help

John

UNIX domain datagram sockets

Post by Rob Janss » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am just starting to learn about sockets programming using the book:
>    Adventures in UNIX Network Applications Programmimg - WILEY
>I am looking at the UNIX domain to start with.
>The connectionless datagram examples work fine on SUNs but not under Linux.
>connect() returns INVALID PARAMETER as does recv(). I also noticed that
>recv() does not block.
>Can any one tell me if Are datagram sockets fully supported in the
>UNIX domain under linux?

They aren't.  Only stream sockets are supported.
When you want to use datagrams, try the INET family (UDP).

Rob
--
+------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

+------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

UNIX domain datagram sockets

Post by Mark Eva » Mon, 08 Apr 1996 05:00:00

:
:
: >I am just starting to learn about sockets programming using the book:
:
: >  Adventures in UNIX Network Applications Programmimg - WILEY
:
: >I am looking at the UNIX domain to start with.
:
: >The connectionless datagram examples work fine on SUNs but not under Linux.
: >connect() returns INVALID PARAMETER as does recv(). I also noticed that
: >recv() does not block.
:
: >Can any one tell me if Are datagram sockets fully supported in the
: >UNIX domain under linux?
:
: They aren't.  Only stream sockets are supported.
: When you want to use datagrams, try the INET family (UDP).

If you really need unix domain datagram sockets it shouldn't be
too hard to impliment them...

UNIX domain datagram sockets

Post by Miran Miks » Mon, 08 Apr 1996 05:00:00

Hi !

Who needs datagram sockets in UNIX domain? As far as I know, datagrams
are meant to be used when the connection isn't reliable enough. But, if
you are able to access the same file, and NOT over nfs (UNIX domain
sockets don't work over nfs, at least it isn't guaranteed), then there is
quite a high possibility that client and server are running on the same
machine. There shoudn't be connection problems.

Or am I wrong? :-))

To be honest, I've never programmed used datagram sockets, only stream.

Miran

UNIX domain datagram sockets

Post by Mark Eva » Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: Hi !
:
: Who needs datagram sockets in UNIX domain? As far as I know, datagrams
: are meant to be used when the connection isn't reliable enough. But, if
: you are able to access the same file, and NOT over nfs (UNIX domain
: sockets don't work over nfs, at least it isn't guaranteed), then there is
: quite a high possibility that client and server are running on the same
: machine. There shoudn't be connection problems.

Some applications can be better oriented to a datagram model, e.g.
sending transaction records.

Post by Miran Miks » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: Some applications can be better oriented to a datagram model, e.g.
: sending transaction records.

I agree ...

1. UNIX Domain Datagram Sockets - Receive Queue Size?

What, exactly, controls the incoming message space allocated for UNIX
Domain (AF_UNIX) Sockets that are operated using Datagrams?

I have an application that makes it appear that senders get EAGAIN when
roughly 37 Datagrams have accumulated at a receiver. The Socket Buffer
Size setting does not seem to be the controlling factor - it seems that
no matter
how large or small the Datagrams, the receiver's Socket Input Queue
becomes 'full' (sender gets EAGAIN) when there are about 37 Datagrams
waiting to be read? Going by 'bytes-of-space' there should be room for
more than 300 Datagrams?

Anybody have any clues? This is on SunOS (Solaris) 5.6 on an ULTRASparc
II SMP with two CPUs.

2. sndkit for nec cd-25b

3. UNIX Domain Datagram Socket:Receive Queue Size?

4. Record locking

5. credentials from Unix-domain datagram socket?

6. x for notebook

7. UNIX domain Socket Datagram question

8. All you need is to invest $5 for a FORTUNE!!! ACT NOW!!!

9. DATAGRAM sockets in the UNIX DOMAIN.

10. Not enough queuing of datagrams on a unix domain socket

11. Datagram sockets in Unix Domain?

12. Are unix domain socket datagrams reliable?