Whatever happened to the kernel Hacker's guide?

Whatever happened to the kernel Hacker's guide?

Post by Eric S Rom » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Whatever happened to the Kernel  hacker's guide?  It said it was going to be
rewritten into a series of other documents, but I haaven't heard anything.
I'm looking for some in depth dodcumentation of the workings of the linux
kernel.  Any suggestions?

Eric

1. What happened to the Kernel Hacker's Guide?

The latest one available appears to be 0.6, datestamped early last year.
Half of it's editorial comments saying "Memo: Do this bit sometime".
There's a mention that the KHG was going to be split up into several
sections...

Does anyone know where I can find this?

I'm writing a device driver, and need to know how to implement mmap().
The KHG says to look in the VMM section, which doesn't appear to be
there. Currently I've just got a routine in my module that printk's the
data passed to it and returns -EINVAL; but when I run my test program,
nothing happens...

...and, BTW, is there an up-to-date man page on mmap()? And the built-in
kernal functions? I can't find anything.

   Why do people surf the Information Superhighway? Won't they get run over?
               http://www-hons-cs.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~dg
              Sun-Earther David Daton Given  of Lochcarron

2. MAC Address From IP Address

3. Linux Kernel Hacker's Guide

4. iBook & Linux reviews?

5. What is wrong with Kernel Hacker's Guide?

6. How to make kernel an application 64bit

7. Kernel Hacker's Guide

8. 2.1.5: AMD direct mounts appear broken

9. Linux Kernel Hacker's Guide

10. Searching for Kernel Hacker's Guide

11. Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide location

12. New stuff in Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide

13. Whatever happened to the 'ODIF' atom?