filesystem setup for new kernel

Post by Jonathan Bec » Sun, 31 Mar 1996 04:00:00

To anyone,
  I have Linux 1.2.1 installed on a harddisk partition and everything is working
well.  Recently I created a new partition and installed a small filesystem
with kernel 1.3.79, the gcc2.7.2 compiler and Elf filesystems standards.
This seems to be a success.

  My question is this:  Is there an elegant and
simple way to run the utilities I have on my original Linux partition from
the new partition which uses the new kernel and libraries?
I have mounted the old partition under the new one just so I can get at it.
Of course I could create a large set of symbolic links, but this doesn't
qualify as elegant.  And it seems quite dangerous.  So what is the good answer?
Thanks, J. Beck

1. filesystem problems when loading new kernel

I am currently running redhat 6.2 with the 2.2.14 kernel.  I am in the
process of trying to upgrade my kernel, so I compiled (without
problems) the newest 2.2 kernel- 2.2.20.  When I go to reboot my
system with the new kernel, it starts loading and bringin everything
up fine until it gets to the part where it mounts the file systems.
At this point it gets really unhappy.  I have 3 disks 2 scsi and one
ide.  / is on sda, then i have sdb and hda.
It says Bad magic number while trying to open /dev/sdb1, the
superblock could not be read or does not describe an ext2 filesystem,
it suggest i run e2fsck -b 8193 /dev.  It also wines about /dev/hda,
it just says it could not be read because it does not describe an ext2
filesystem.
So i reboot back to my 2.2.14 kernel and it boots fine no complaints
and everything is normal.  I go through this a couple times and then
the next time i am trying the 2.2.20 kernel after it gives me the
error message i put in the root password and go into maintenance.  I
run e2fsck -c /dev/sdb1, everything seems fine i try again and same
message this time i try running e2fsck -b 8193 on it as it instructs
and it gives me the same message back telling me there is abad magic
number and the superblock could not be read and finally to run the
same command i just did.  So i am stuck, could someone please help, it
makes no sense why it seems so happy with the filesystems with my old
kernel but the new one freaks when they are the same ext2 fs.
please help thanks??????

2. man and tbl

3. filesystem problem with new kernel, help please

4. Triumph of the Market

5. New kernel hangs mounting local filesystems

6. SCO Internet FastStart only parially installed after upgrade from 5.0.0 to 5.0.4

7. HELP: New kernels corrupt filesystem

8. firewall

9. new kernel fails to mount filesystems

10. new kernel - no filesystem....

11. filesystem problem with new kernel, help

12. How to program/write a new filesystems into the kernel?

13. New: Filesystem test creating kernel BUGs at include/asm/spinlock.h