Kernel say: Unable to open initial console

Kernel say: Unable to open initial console

What can I do, why kernel say:  Unable to open initial console

Post by Kasper Dupon » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:20:31

> What can I do, why kernel say:  Unable to open initial console

Doesn't it say more than that?

That is because there is no /dev/console on your
root filesystem. In most cases that is because you
are using the wrong disk/partition for root. But
if you are using the wrong filesystem the kernel
will most likely not find the init program either,
which it should report.

If the kernel also says: "No init found. Try
passing init= option to kernel." then you are
probably using the wrong root system try passing
a root=xxx option to the kernel where xxx is the
device number of the correct filesystem.

If the init program is found it will be started
but will not be able to report any problems because
of the missing console. In that case try using a
rescure disk and create the /dev/console with the
command: mknod /.../dev/console c 5 1
where ... is replaced with the mount point of the
root filesystem.

--
Kasper Dupont

1. Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

Apologies of off-topic or screamingly idiotic or newbie :-)

Booting 2.5.62 results in no console.  Looking at syslog shows:

Warning: unable to open initial console

I am not using devfs - /dev/console is there, char major 5, minor 1.

Kernel was built without MDA or framebuffer support, without serial or
parallel console, with CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE 1 and CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE 1.

Problem has been present since at least 2.5.59.

System runs normally if booted with 2.5.24.
-

2. virtual memory

3. KERNEL 2.0.36 - Unable to open an initial console

4. Classroom setup

5. error - Unable to open an initial console, doslinux version 31, kernel 2.0.30 elf

6. linux cgi

7. Kernel 2.4.0 failed on LX165 (Unable to open an initial console)

8. prstat output not adding up to what I expect...

9. Help with Kernel error: "Unable to open initial console."

10. "Unable to open an initial console" while trying out new kernel

11. Kernel-2.4.0 failed on LX164 (unable to open an initial console)

12. Serial console and "unable to open an initial console"

13. "Unable to open a initial console" message