Why `make clean' when building the kernel

Why `make clean' when building the kernel

Post by Rain » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:51:50

Everyone tells me to do `make clean', `make dep' or something else
similar when I want to rebuild the kernel.  So I will have to spend
~30 minutes just compiling the _whole_ kernel.

If a `make clean' is necessary even when patching (or
reconfiguring) the kernel, what use are dependencies anyway?

Post by G. Sumner Haye » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:33:46

> Everyone tells me to do `make clean', `make dep' or something else
> similar when I want to rebuild the kernel.  So I will have to spend
> ~30 minutes just compiling the _whole_ kernel.

> If a `make clean' is necessary even when patching (or
> reconfiguring) the kernel, what use are dependencies anyway?

I'm not sure if the make clean is still needed (easily could be), but the
reason is that at one point the dependencies were (are?) broken.

The new kbuild stuff in 2.5.x should fix this for 2.5.x and later kernels
once it goes in (probably soon after the bio stuff stabilizes).

  Sumner

--
rage, rage against the dying of the light

Usenet email address changes periodically.  sumner-nntp at forceovermass
period com is more permanent.

1. why make clean before making kernel?

To build a new kernel I do something like this:

make xconfig && make dep && make clean && make && make zImage && \
make modules && make modules_install

As far as I know this is standard procedure.
But  why  the  make clean?  Isn't  that  missing  the whole  point  of
makefiles?

-chris

2. gcc problem

3. DR3alpha4 mach kernel doesn't build. Why?

4. X Windows, Riva128

5. Why can't I build a kernel after some package upgrades?

6. How do I test the network?

7. Disk clean on bootup, fsck says it's not clean

8. does anyone know if/how I can run X windows using DejaWin??

9. Can't get the kernel source for making Sawtooth kernel

10. Why can't fbsd clean up?

11. Kernel Panic: Can't mount root - after building new kernel

12. kernel does not 'remember' the changes made.

13. Why making netfilter moduls fails in 2.4.0 kernel