Integrated C++ development environment??

Integrated C++ development environment??

Post by Derek Hardim » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Unfortunately I'm a Windows developer by profession but with a
hankering to do some Linux work. can anyone recommend a good X based
IDE for gcc?? After all I'm used to the likes of VC++ on NT.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
   Derek.

Post by Tristan Wibberle » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Unfortunately I'm a Windows developer by profession but with a
> hankering to do some Linux work. can anyone recommend a good X based
> IDE for gcc?? After all I'm used to the likes of VC++ on NT.

There is one called Guide under development (it's *very* early in the
development cycle yet - don't expect anything even compilable yet).

Otherwise, use the tools already available - Emacs has some IDE
capabilities, but it's not very good at it IMHO. What exactly does an
IDE give you an advantage with - GUI compunent design is just about all
there is, and that's available separately. Integrated is almost always
used as a buzzword - stop using it *now* ...

A text editor with syntax highlighting (eg Emacs) plus autoconf and make
is all you need. I don't even use syntax highlighting (vi you know).

--
Tristan Wibberley               Linux is a registered trademark
                                of Linus Torvalds.

Integrated C++ development environment??

Post by Blush Consultin » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The version of Vim that comes with Debian 2.0 has been setup real nicely for
color syntax highlighting and stuff. I've come from a windows programming
background as well and was looking for a similar GUI devel environment but
have found Vim real nice and (once you work out the commands) easy to use.

>> Unfortunately I'm a Windows developer by profession but with a
>> hankering to do some Linux work. can anyone recommend a good X based
>> IDE for gcc?? After all I'm used to the likes of VC++ on NT.

>There is one called Guide under development (it's *very* early in the
>development cycle yet - don't expect anything even compilable yet).

>Otherwise, use the tools already available - Emacs has some IDE
>capabilities, but it's not very good at it IMHO. What exactly does an
>IDE give you an advantage with - GUI compunent design is just about all
>there is, and that's available separately. Integrated is almost always
>used as a buzzword - stop using it *now* ...

>A text editor with syntax highlighting (eg Emacs) plus autoconf and make
>is all you need. I don't even use syntax highlighting (vi you know).

>--
>Tristan Wibberley Linux is a registered trademark
> of Linus Torvalds.

Integrated C++ development environment??

Post by Walter Rawdani » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If you are wiling to pay for it then check out Visual Slick Edit .. It is
very similar to MS DS.

Waler

Quote:> Unfortunately I'm a Windows developer by profession but with a
> hankering to do some Linux work. can anyone recommend a good X based
> IDE for gcc?? After all I'm used to the likes of VC++ on NT.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,
>    Derek.

Integrated C++ development environment??

Post by Rudolf Leitg » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

You can also check out Source Navigator (http://www.cygnus.com/sn). They
used to offer a stripped down free version and a commercial version.
Pretty nice package, although I prefer the GPL'd ddd ( a graphical interface
to gdb, see http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/softech/ddd/) for debugging purposes.

Rudi

--

         | | | | |
       \   _____   /

Post by Chris Ma » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: If you are wiling to pay for it then check out Visual Slick Edit .. It is
: very similar to MS DS.

: Waler

: > Unfortunately I'm a Windows developer by profession but with a
: > hankering to do some Linux work. can anyone recommend a good X based
: > IDE for gcc?? After all I'm used to the likes of VC++ on NT.
: >
: > Any help would be appreciated.
: >
: > Thanks in advance,
: >    Derek.
: >
: >

Might as well throw my .02 cents in here as well. Code Crusader just went 1.0 and
it might have what you are looking for. Check it out at
www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/jx/jx2.html

Chris Mach