types of threads?

Post by Tulse X. Lupe » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 00:38:48

I'm trying to install an Oracle client on a fresh 7.1 Redhat box,
and I think I've discovered all the obvious packages it needs
to complete its task (X Windows, C libraries and tools, etc.)
but when I run the installer, it starts up its own version of jre
and goes into la-la land (has to be killed with sig 9). A long while
back, when we had another tech support staff, I remember one of them saying
that for certain java implementations to work, one had to activate
something called "green threads," of which I can find nothing in the
knowledge bases. What is this variant, do you think Oracle needs it
(one should think not, since it supposedly works on vanilla linux
installations), and if not, any ideas what is causing jre to spin?
Many thanks... email copy responses if possible.

 "Man must accept notions of the cosmos...whose merest mention is paralyzing."
--------------------------------- Tulse Luper: 92 phlegmatic flamingos in VUE.

types of threads?

Post by Tulse X. Lupe » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 04:14:05

Our DBA found out... there's some magical env. var. one has to set to
tell the Oracle installer what version of the kernel is in use... gee,
thanks Oracle...

                        "There came a dwarf suddenly..."

Post by Kasper Dupon » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 05:54:13

> Our DBA found out... there's some magical env. var. one has to set to
> tell the Oracle installer what version of the kernel is in use... gee,
> thanks Oracle...

Didn't they ever hear about uname? (-:

--
Kasper Dupont

types of threads?

Post by anonymou » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 05:06:36

Um, my experience with installing oracle on a linux box (slackware 7.1)
was that the program locations were hardcoded.  I think the problem you
are describing can be solved by creating a link from /bin/free to
/usr/bin/free.  Granted this is from memory...  there might have been
additional links that need to be set up too.

> I'm trying to install an Oracle client on a fresh 7.1 Redhat box,
> and I think I've discovered all the obvious packages it needs
> to complete its task (X Windows, C libraries and tools, etc.)
> but when I run the installer, it starts up its own version of jre
> and goes into la-la land (has to be killed with sig 9). A long while
> back, when we had another tech support staff, I remember one of them saying
> that for certain java implementations to work, one had to activate
> something called "green threads," of which I can find nothing in the
> knowledge bases. What is this variant, do you think Oracle needs it
> (one should think not, since it supposedly works on vanilla linux
> installations), and if not, any ideas what is causing jre to spin?
> Many thanks... email copy responses if possible.

>  "Man must accept notions of the cosmos...whose merest mention is paralyzing."
> --------------------------------- Tulse Luper: 92 phlegmatic flamingos in VUE.

1. Types of threads

Hi,
What's the difference between a thread created with pthread_create() and
fork()?  I need my threads to have read write access to the parent's
memory space stuff if this is possible..

I'd like this kinda thing to work:
{
 int c=0;
 pid_t pid=fork();

 if (pid>(pid_t)0)
 {
  //Parent
  for (;;)
  {
   cout << "\r" << c;
   cout.flush();
  }

 } else
 {
  //Child
  for (;;)
  {
   c++;
  }
 }

As you can probably guess - it doesn't work at all.  :)
--
Paul Richards (Pauldoo) - http://www.pauldoo.co.uk

I've not run any Microsoft code for 149 days.
    How about you?

2. *** WIN A FREE US ROBOTICS 28.8 MODEM *****

3. Threads, threads, threads

4. OK so Linux is the answer, isn't it?

5. Threads in linux versus threads in NT and threads in Solaris.

6. 2.0.0 + minicom = problem?

7. Netscape 2.02 question

8. threads packages: kernel threads vs. user threads

9. POSIX threads, thread-specific data: what about the "main" thread?

10. multi-threaded 'purify' type program

11. thread waiting on pthread_mutex_lock() forever (for mutex of type PTHREAD_MUTEX_ERRORCHECK)

12. Determining type of runtime - single/multiple threaded