2.2.0 Wishlist * NEWBIE.. No Flames Please *

Post by steve farrel » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> |> I don't know if one of the development guru's on this thread already
> |> mentioned this, but:
> |>
> |> How about something that functions like M$-DOG's setver.exe (maybe call
> |> it setlib?) so that if you have a binary that was compiled using a
> |> specific libc/x,whatever, you could have the executing process use that
> |> library instead of the most current one?
> |>

> This is unnecessary under Linux. Binaries will use the appropriate shared
> library automatically, and for statically linked programs this is irrelevant. All
> setver really does under DOS anyway is permit programs that want a specific
> version of DOS to run, when they would otherwise fail despite being compatible.
> The only programs for which this was true, generally, was the utilities that came
> with DOS. AFAIK, setver did nothing but change which version DOS would report to
> given programs.

> - Maciej Stachowiak

occassionally it's not unnecessary, such as the fact that the new
malloc in libc 5.3.12 and newer reveals a fatal bug in netscape
w/java.  fortunately, there is a way to do this... check out
LD_PRELOAD in the ld.so manpage.

--steve farrell

Post by Erik Larse » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I don't know if one of the development guru's on this thread already
mentioned this, but:

How about something that functions like M$-DOG's setver.exe (maybe call
it setlib?) so that if you have a binary that was compiled using a
specific libc/x,whatever, you could have the executing process use that
library instead of the most current one?

-Erik Larsen

2.2.0 Wishlist * NEWBIE.. No Flames Please *

Post by Ulrich Drepp » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> occassionally it's not unnecessary, such as the fact that the new
> malloc in libc 5.3.12 and newer reveals a fatal bug in netscape
> w/java.  fortunately, there is a way to do this... check out
> LD_PRELOAD in the ld.so manpage.

You are correct that this is not unnecessary but the brute force
method of using LD_PRELOAD is not the final answer.  When we had more
time currently we would finally work on extending ELF to know about
version number.  Here I mean version numer on symbol level.  So every
application would get the symbol it wants to see.

--
-- Uli

Ulrich Drepper \    ,--------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany

2.2.0 Wishlist * NEWBIE.. No Flames Please *

Post by Ravi K. Swa » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I don't know if one of the development guru's on this thread already
>mentioned this, but:

>How about something that functions like M$-DOG's setver.exe (maybe call
>it setlib?) so that if you have a binary that was compiled using a
>specific libc/x,whatever, you could have the executing process use that
>library instead of the most current one?

I don't know what exactly setver does.  What do you want that LD_LIBRARY_PATH
can't do?  An easier "interface?"

Ravi
--
Ravi K. Swamy                http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rkswamy/www/

2.2.0 Wishlist * NEWBIE.. No Flames Please *

Post by Thomas Quin » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> How about something that functions like M$-DOG's setver.exe (maybe call
> it setlib?)

This has nothing to do with kernel development.

Quote:> so that if you have a binary that was compiled using a
> specific libc/x,whatever, you could have the executing process use that
> library instead of the most current one?

This is already taken care of by the dynamic linker.

--

Post by Maciej Stachowi » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

|> occassionally it's not unnecessary, such as the fact that the new
|> malloc in libc 5.3.12 and newer reveals a fatal bug in netscape
|> w/java.  fortunately, there is a way to do this... check out
|> LD_PRELOAD in the ld.so manpage.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about working around buggy programs. Still, as a general
rule, you shouldn't need to work around a program that references memory after
free()ing it. The program should get fixed. Unfortunately, Netscape sucks and
they don't ship source.

- Maciej Stachowiak