why no slackware bugfixes?

Post by Daniel Quinl » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>> BTW Patrick cleared up the getopt question (it is /bin/getoptprog
>> now)

> No, please don't say that - it is /bin/getopt, it has always been
> that, and I hope it will always be that - no reason to start one
> more confusion. If by some accident you have a distribution that
> mistakenly puts getopt in /bin/getoptprog, then just "mv
> /bin/getoptprog /bin/getopt" to fix this bug.

Please don't make the assumption that `getopt' is located in /bin.  It
may be in /bin or /usr/bin, but it is *not* required in /bin
(according the the Linux Filesystem Structure, which most Linux
distributions attempt to follow).

If you want to write a portable Linux script, you won't run it as
/bin/getopt, but as `getopt' using a PATH that includes /bin and
/usr/bin.

Dan
--
Daniel Quinlan          Member of the League for Programming Freedom

why no slackware bugfixes?

Post by Mark A. Steve » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>> Unbelievable at it might seem, there was once a bug in IEFBR14 [...]

Several in fact. It took several PTFs (Program Temporary Fixes) to kill
that bug. The first was that it didn't zero out register 15 (the return
code).

Quote:>There's at least one other bug -- it's called "IEFBR14". Why didn't they
>call the program NOOP or DUMMY?

It didn't do a no operation. It set the return code to 0. The purpose
was to allow IBM Job Control Language to set up files for later job
steps.  You needed a program to run and it had to return a non-zero
return code to indicate successfull completion. BR 14 is the IBM
Assembler mnemonic to branch to the contents of register 14, which by
standard programming conventions contained the address of the calling
program.

The nonsensical part was the IEF, except it did indicate the program
was an IBM utility.

Quote:>Unix command names are stupidly cryptic too, but at least they're shorter.
>;-)

awk, I just rm'd protoize. Do I need it? And what about xferstats?! ;->

If you know enough about the OS, it can always be said it makes sense.
--
Mark A. Stevens                           Phone:    708-235-2204

Board of Governors Universities           VMSHARE:  ECE/MARK

why no slackware bugfixes?

Post by zachary bro » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

:
:>> BTW Patrick cleared up the getopt question (it is /bin/getoptprog
:>> now)
:
:
:> No, please don't say that - it is /bin/getopt, it has always been
:> that, and I hope it will always be that - no reason to start one
:> more confusion. If by some accident you have a distribution that
:> mistakenly puts getopt in /bin/getoptprog, then just "mv
:> /bin/getoptprog /bin/getopt" to fix this bug.
:
:Please don't make the assumption that `getopt' is located in /bin.  It
:may be in /bin or /usr/bin, but it is *not* required in /bin
:(according the the Linux Filesystem Structure, which most Linux
:distributions attempt to follow).

To continue this comedy of corrections...

It is called the Linux Filesystem Standard (FSSTND), and it can be
gotten via FTP from tsx-11.mit.edu in
/pub/linux/docs/linux-standards/fsstnd

and well worth it.

Zack

:If you want to write a portable Linux script, you won't run it as
:/bin/getopt, but as `getopt' using a PATH that includes /bin and
:/usr/bin.
:
:Dan
:--
:Daniel Quinlan          Member of the League for Programming Freedom

why no slackware bugfixes?

Post by Tom Temper » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

HI,

IEFBR14 had a method to it's madnessess. IEF refers to the OS
utilities (all messages had IEF prefix) as did the utilites.
BR14 referred to the branch using address in Register 14 which
figured into the subroutine linkage which if memory serves me,
the cpu placed the return address.

The bug referred to the failure to clear Register 15 which almost
guaranteed a non zero return code from the utility.

The routine was needed because to allocate datasets (files) for a
batch job stream, a dummy program was needed.

So much for nostalgia and trivia.

--
Cheers....

Thomas Tempero                          Design Acceleration, Inc

                                        1530 Highway 52 N, Suite 1076
                                        Rochester, MN

why no slackware bugfixes?

Post by Patrick J. Volkerdi » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: :may be in /bin or /usr/bin, but it is *not* required in /bin
: :(according the the Linux Filesystem Structure, which most Linux
: :distributions attempt to follow).

: To continue this comedy of corrections...

: It is called the Linux Filesystem Standard (FSSTND), and it can be
: gotten via FTP from tsx-11.mit.edu in
: /pub/linux/docs/linux-standards/fsstnd

This *is* getting to be comedic!

Ever look at the top of that FSSTND document, Zack? :^)

:               Linux Filesystem Structure -- Release 1.2
:

:                       Filesystem Standard Group

Later,

Pat