Help setting up cache-only named for PPP box

Help setting up cache-only named for PPP box

Post by B. James Phillipp » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

        I was reading the network administrator's guide (by Olaf Kirch) and
was going through the PPP section when I found a tip on setting up a
cache-only named.  I can see how this would help reduce bandwidth
consumption by caching lookups, so I went ahead and tried setting it up.
I got my root servers, and set up my named.conf file, and everything
worked great.  What I ended up with, was a full-blown nameserver (I
think).  Other sites were able to resolv hostnames with: nslookup foo.bar
bryan.seanet.com (my address).  And my cache only appeared to work when
nslookup was performed on MY machine.

        I run my box via PPP to my ISP, with a static address.  My ISP
provides me with a very fast nameserver.  I am wondering if someone can
help me set up my named so that I still use my ISP for lookups, but once
the hostname is resolved, MY machine will keep a cache.  And I'd rather
not provide name service for other machines, as well.  Does anyone out
there know how to help?

-B. James Phillippe
--

Valued Client Since 1.1.59

Help setting up cache-only named for PPP box

Post by Joel Ka » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

        The easiest way to set up a cache only named is to put in
/etc/named.boot only the following lines:

directory /etc
cache   .       root.cache

        And make sure you have the right cache file in /etc/root.cache.
If you have an available nameserver or nameservers from your provider,
you can use them by adding:

forwarders ip_address_of_ns ip_address_of_another_ns

        You may also want to add a line reading "slave" which will tell
your named only to use the forwarders -- though I don't recommend this
unless you're behind a firewall and need it for security reasons.

        To restrict access, you need to use the "xfrnets" directive
(called "tcplist" on older nameds. I'm not sure the exact syntax, but
basically you list those networks (IP address) that are authorized to use
your nameserver.

        If you have any additional questions or problems, feel free to
email me.

--
Joel Katz                   Corporate Web Pages - http://WWW.*Plus.COM
Information on Objectivism, Atheism, the 8031/8051 Microcontrollers, Linux

Help setting up cache-only named for PPP box

Post by Al Longye » Sun, 20 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,
>    I was reading the network administrator's guide (by Olaf Kirch) and
>was going through the PPP section when I found a tip on setting up a
>cache-only named.  I can see how this would help reduce bandwidth
>consumption by caching lookups, so I went ahead and tried setting it up.
>I got my root servers, and set up my named.conf file, and everything
>worked great.  What I ended up with, was a full-blown nameserver (I
>think).  Other sites were able to resolv hostnames with: nslookup foo.bar
>bryan.seanet.com (my address).  And my cache only appeared to work when
>nslookup was performed on MY machine.
>    I run my box via PPP to my ISP, with a static address.  My ISP
>provides me with a very fast nameserver.  I am wondering if someone can
>help me set up my named so that I still use my ISP for lookups, but once
>the hostname is resolved, MY machine will keep a cache.  And I'd rather
>not provide name service for other machines, as well.  Does anyone out
>there know how to help?

It is not hard to set up a 'cache only' nameserver. The steps are basically:

1. In the /etc/resolv.conf file, put the IP address of your local nameserver
   as the 'nameserver' entry. This may be 127.1, provided that you don't
   use more than just the one local cache only nameserver entry. This
   is a bug in the BIND 4.8.3 code which would cause problems if you do.

2. Create a /etc/named.boot file with the following contents:

   directory   /etc/named
   forwarders  the-IP.address-of.your-ISP.provider
   primary     0.0.127.in-addr.arpa   /etc/named.local.rev
   cache       .                      /etc/named.cache

3. Make CERTAIN that you have a CURRENT cache in the file /etc/named.cache
   file. This is important. This file can not be empty or you will not
   get any translations properly.

   The current files are on the ftp site rs.internic.net.

4. Have the reverse primary for the 127.* IP domain file,
   /etc/named.local.rev, contain something similar to the following:

     1      ; Serial number
     10800  ; Refresh
     3600   ; Retry
     604800 ; Expire
     86400 ); Minimum TTL

   IN NS  my.machine.

1  IN PTR localhost.

(Don't forget the trailing periods on the names!)

The 'my.machine' is simply the name associated with your IP
address. It really is not important for this domain since it is used
only to do the reverse translation of 127.0.0.1 to a name -- localhost.

The 'forwarders' line in the named.boot file lists the IP addresses of
your provider's nameservers. It is what you would normally list as the
'nameserver' entries in the resolv.conf file. Multiple IP addresses
are permitted on the line if they are separated by spaces.

--

1. Help with cache-only named?

Hi,

        Sorry to crosspost..  I am trying to set up a cache-only named
for my small Linux box which I use to connect to my ISP via PPP.
Although my ISP provides a fast nameserver, I was reading in the Linux
Network Administrators Guide that it is good practice to conserve
bandwidth by setting up a cache-only nameserver.  I followed the steps,
and ended up with a full blown nameserver that replied to all hosts.  The
cache worked, but only when MY machine resolves a hostname.  Is there a
way I can set my box up to use my ISP's nameserver, but store a cache
locally to be checked before a resolve attempt is made?

-B. James Phillippe
--

Valued Client Since 1.1.59

2. Enlightment doesn't start.........

3. HELP: Setting up a DIAL-IN PPP SERVER on my Linux box??

4. compile error

5. Help: setting up 2 RH7.2 linux boxes to ppp demand dial each other

6. NFS: descending trees across filesystems - ?

7. Setting up a caching DNS server in Linux - can't find server name

8. Glue records?

9. Set up cache name server on RH6.1

10. Setting up named just for cache

11. caching-only name server not caching.

12. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

13. Help, linux box and Back-ups pro 650