Kernel change summary 1.1.84 -> 1.1.85

Post by Russell Nels » Mon, 20 Feb 1995 14:20:09

These changes are archived on ftp.emlist.com:pub/kchanges and
http://www.nvg.unit.no/linux-changes/index.html.  I cannot answer
questions about Linux -- I merely summarize the kernel patches after
reading them.  I try to make them useful to everyone, but kernel
hackers should take them with a grain of salt and read the patches
themselves.  I'm not going to bother summarizing the sparc, m68k, and
alpha architecture changes until the respective port is working.

Updated CREDITS and added Greg Page.
Makefile module support improved.
README.modules added (user-level info).
ALPHA irq support frobbed.
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS added to i386/config.in
SPARC changes.
Fix minor roundup problem in network driver initialization.
Compressed SLIP now uses ip_fast_csum.
Reduce debugging output for Tulip (DEC 21040) driver.
Bug fixed in filesystem buffering.
More PCI vendor and device id's defined.
symtab entries (for the purposes of modules) are now defined on the fly.
When memory-mapping files, if the file isn't open for writing, just use a
        private mapping.
Oops, the new memory-mapping protection flags aren't set properly.
--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?

1. Kernel change summary 1.1.83 -> 1.1.84

These changes are archived on ftp.emlist.com:pub/kchanges and
http://www.nvg.unit.no/linux-changes/index.html.  I cannot answer
questions about Linux -- I merely summarize the kernel patches after
reading them.  I try to make them useful to everyone, but kernel
hackers should take them with a grain of salt and read the patches
themselves.  I'm not going to bother summarizing the sparc, m68k, and
alpha architecture changes until the respective port is working.

Werner Zimmermann added to CREDITS.
More alpha memory mapper changes.
Kernel paging code cleaned up with the use of some small inline functions.
        Maybe some bugs were fixed also -- too hard to tell.
New documentation for floppy driver (.../drivers/block/README.fd).
IDE documentation updated (same directory).
Aztec CDROM driver updated from version 0.72 to 0.8.
IDE driver updated from 3.8 to 3.10.
        don't use LBA if lba_capacity looks funny
        correct the drive capacity calculations
        fix probing for old Seagates without HD_ALTSTATUS
        fix byte-ordering for some NEC cdrom drives
        disable multiple mode by default; was causing trouble
Changed net_init.c to use an existing "ethN" entry if it exists,
        rather than generating a new one.  This (finally!) allow the
        LANCE driver to accept the LILO parameters, and avoid a
        problems with naming two ethercards "eth0".
Added a DEC 21040 Tulip entry to drivers/net/Makefile.
Fixed various error recovery bus in the AT1700 driver.
Modified the SMC Ultra driver to recognize the new EtherEZ.
Modified the LANCE driver to work with 79c974 and PCI BIOS errata.  It
        now sets the PCI bus master enable bit itself, and avoids
        clearing the InitDone status bit.
Added a reset timer to the ATP pocket adapter driver.
Digital ewrk3 driver updated to version 0.32.  Multicast fixed.
aha152x fixed to use request_region.  Save flags and restore them, so
        we don't accidentally turn on interrupts when they should be
        off.
EATA driver cleaned up.
in2000 driver now has module and biosparam support for larger SCSI
        hard drives (untested).
QLogic SCSI support improved.
mem_mmap code completely rewritten.
More PCI vendor and device ID's added.
strcpy, as found in lib/string.c, didn't do a count of zero correctly.
Extraneous IP firewalling check in the IP code.
--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?
Potsdam, NY 13676 | Capitalists try to avoid a free market.  Why might that be?

2. PS/2 mouse setup in Linux

3. Kernel change summary 1.1.85 -> 1.1.86

4. PDF editor/converter?

5. Wierd bug in 1.1.84,85

6. my time is wrong in newsgroup posting

7. Kernel Panic in 1.1.84 on bootup

8. RH8, libtcl.so.0, libtck.so.0 and R problems

9. Kernel hangs after long idle time in 1.1.84

10. Where is 1.1.84 kernel available?

11. problems w/ kernel 1.1.84

12. Help compiling kernel 1.1.85

13. FDIV bug i586, system hangs, 1.1.85 kernel