minimal 2.2 system for mobile mp3 play?

Post by David Beliu » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Just take slackware and install only what you want. You can then remove
unneeded binaries. What hardware are you using. I would want to do this
myself.

minimal 2.2 system for mobile mp3 play?

Post by Peter Samuels » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> the neat thing about the mobo is that it takes EITHER a slot-1 OR
> socket-370 celeron chip.  overkill - but I didn't want to worry about
> underpowering this beat with a lowly pent-1 chip ;-)

Yeah, it's overkill.  My faithful P166MMX never has any trouble playing
MP3s.  The MP3 decoder only starts complaining when it has to timeshare
with, say, gcc. (:

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

minimal 2.2 system for mobile mp3 play?

Post by Edward Le » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

A general purpose system can't be fast enough at any speed.  I still get
pauses playing mp3 on my dual pentium II 350, when copying files over 100T
link.  On the other hand, a strip down P120 work fine by itself.  Even a
100MHz 486 sounds OK with Mono at half frequency.  Anyway, I am not
talented enough to tell the difference in sound quality.

> > the neat thing about the mobo is that it takes EITHER a slot-1 OR
> > socket-370 celeron chip.  overkill - but I didn't want to worry about
> > underpowering this beat with a lowly pent-1 chip ;-)

> Yeah, it's overkill.  My faithful P166MMX never has any trouble playing
> MP3s.  The MP3 decoder only starts complaining when it has to timeshare
> with, say, gcc. (:

> --
> Peter Samuelson
> <sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

minimal 2.2 system for mobile mp3 play?

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>A general purpose system can't be fast enough at any speed.  I still get
>pauses playing mp3 on my dual pentium II 350, when copying files over 100T
>link.  On the other hand, a strip down P120 work fine by itself.  Even a
>100MHz 486 sounds OK with Mono at half frequency.  Anyway, I am not
>talented enough to tell the difference in sound quality.

Pauses may be averted by having a suitably large buffer; the system fills
the buffer, and then plays *from the buffer.*  That allows bits of variation
in the time it takes for data to get from disk/remote host to the CPU to
become irrelevant unless you simply can't get the data there as fast as
the MP3 player turns it into sound.

mpg123 -b 1024 whatever.mp3
uses a 1MB buffer; that tends to be a couple of *minutes* worth of buffer,
and thus quite adequate for smoothing out any minor variations in data
transfer rates...

--
"If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
.... Oh, wait a minute, he already does."

Post by Sebastien HUE » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> anyone have any advice on a minimalist system (no networking or x11,
> but will need compilers for the development platform) that might be
> used for a mobile mp3 player?

> I'm investigating 'green frog linux' as well as 'muLinux'.  any others
> to look at?

Look at http://linux-embedded.com for links.

bye

seb

1. play mp3 using command play in RH8

Hi,

In other distros (Knoppix for example), I am able to play mp3 using the
simple command line command play (e.g. play my.mp3)

By in redhat8, things are different, since they do not include mp3
capability be default. I have install the mp3 plugin for xmms, but play
still can't play mp3.

Can anybody share your experience how you enable play to play mp3 under
RH8? I'm sure may people would be interested in your experience. thanks

tong

2. Using Multiple Partitions?

3. Mobile IP for 2.2 kernel ?

4. Red Hat 2.1 : Root login

5. ****DOWNLOAD MP3's - HACKING - PHREAKING - MOBILE CODES***** http://go.to/gsm_master

6. recuiting

7. mobile mp3 project -- update

8. UNIX FAQ?

9. minimal hardware for mp3 decoding

10. KDE 2.2 beta 1 mp3 audio grabbing

11. KDE 2.2 Beta1 and MP3 Audio grabbing

12. KDE 2.2: artsd dies on mp3 and mpeg

13. linstall minimal from Plug and Play Linux won't work