Help with weird ALSA problem sought

Post by FA » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:32:53

Hello All,
I have a dual boot dual CPU machine running RH7.1.

Soundcard is SBLive! emu10k1 chip

I've been running ALSA happily for some time in dual CPU mode but I wanted
to test something out using one CPU so I booted up into uniprocessor mode.
Now I realised that I'd need to recompile ALSA so I did a
make clean (to get rid of the make that I did for multi processor)
./configure --with-oss=yes --with-sequencer=yes
make install

this created all of the necessary in my uniprocessor modules directory.

just to be sure I rebooted into uniprocessor mode and tried it out.

xmms works fine
gamix works fine
playmidi -a works fine (after loading a soundfont using sfxload)

however kdemediaplayer does not work, neither does timidity nor do any of my
apps using /dev/dsp including things like gnuitar

(retried multiprocessor boot and everything still works fine!)

Does anyone have any ideas, I'm a bit stumped at the moment.....

Best regards,
Fraser.

Help with weird ALSA problem sought

Post by Thomas Richte » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:28:46

Hi,

Quote:> however kdemediaplayer does not work, neither does timidity nor do any of my
> apps using /dev/dsp including things like gnuitar

There's a script in the alsa distribution which creates the necessary
device files which might be missing in your case. Sorry, I forgot the name
of this script, but it's mentioned in the ReadMe.

Greetings,
        Thomas

Post by FA » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:18:24

>Hi,

>> however kdemediaplayer does not work, neither does timidity nor do any of
my
>> apps using /dev/dsp including things like gnuitar

>There's a script in the alsa distribution which creates the necessary
>device files which might be missing in your case. Sorry, I forgot the name
>of this script, but it's mentioned in the ReadMe.

>Greetings,
> Thomas

Thanks for the reply Thomas.

I can't believe that this is the case as I'm using the same system,
basically when I installed RH7.1 it installed multi cpu and also gave me a
uniprocessor boot. My /dev directory should be the same whether
multiprocessor or uniprocessor - annoyingly everything works fine when I
bood in normal multiprocessor mode, but when I boot uniprocessor it seems
that oss emulation is broken (xmms works fine, but I suspect that this is
ALSA native).

I definately selected --with-oss=yes then I did ./configure in my
uniprocessor boot and I have the sound directory created in both the
uniprocessor and smp modules directories.

This one is really winding me up :-(

Fraser.

Help with weird ALSA problem sought

Post by Thomas Richte » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:19:33

Hi,

Quote:> I can't believe that this is the case as I'm using the same system,
> basically when I installed RH7.1 it installed multi cpu and also gave me a
> uniprocessor boot. My /dev directory should be the same whether
> multiprocessor or uniprocessor - annoyingly everything works fine when I
> bood in normal multiprocessor mode, but when I boot uniprocessor it seems
> that oss emulation is broken (xmms works fine, but I suspect that this is
> ALSA native).

Did you upgrade to alsa 0.9.4 lately? If so, then the location of the
device files changed a bit. They are basically links to some files in the
/proc file system, and those moved in 0.9.3. Thus, it might be worth a try.

So long,
        Thomas

1. Help with weird ALSA problem sought

[...]

2. UNIX System Administrators

3. Weird Ping, weird FTP, weird Telnet... HELP!!!

4. How do I change protocol (udp->tcp) for the interface?

5. help sought about weird vi error message ...

6. irq handling code consolidation, second try (v850 part)

7. Weird Ping Problem -- Hide 'n' Seek?

8. Samba newbie with linux laptop on a win95 dhcp network, HELP!

9. Weird, weird, weird issue ....

10. ALSA modprobe works, but amixer thinks no alsa

11. alsa questions (alsa + arts = aplay_hangs)

12. ALSA problem with PCTV card sound, please help!

13. Alsa Problem, Help Needed!