RH 4.1 modular kernel build mystery

Post by Perry Gri » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Call me a newbie.  I'm not a kernel hacker.  In any event, it was
a heck of a lot easier to build and run 1.2.x non-modular kernels
that the 2.0.x modular ones.  And the documentation seems (to me)
to be below the typical linux standard, as it pertains to modules.
See /usr/src/linux/README & /usr/src/linux/Documentation/module*.

I run RedHat 4.1 which may have some unique issues of its' own.
The kernel located in /boot.  I did manage to get the "kernel
build, install, reboot process" down to a finite number of errors.
And the following "script" attempts to show what it took.

Questions and Problems:

Where do(es) the /boot/module-info* file(s) come from?
Where does the /lib/modules/2.0.27/modules.dep file come from?
There are not (obvious) ones for my new 2.0.29 kernel.
Are they needed?

And there are errors when running the new kernel...
INIT: Id "7" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

Is there any requirements (module dependancies) between an NE2000
clone ethernet interface and nfs that could cause these messages?
Thanks in advance for any help in understanding the module mystery!

Perry grieb

#!/bin/sh

# Build a new kernel, easy so far...
#
cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make menuconfig
make dep ; make clean
make zImage

# Compile and Inatall modules
#
make modules
make modules_install

# Update /boot for RedHat 4.1 installs
#
cd /boot
cp /usr/src/linux-2.0.29/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.29
cp /usr/src/linux-2.0.29/System.map /boot/System.map-2.0.29
if [ -f vmlinuz ]; then
        rm vmlinuz
fi
ln -s vmlinuz-2.0.29 vmlinuz
if [ -f System.map ]; then
        rm System.map
fi
ln -s System.map-2.0.29 System.map

# Rerun lilo
#
cd /etc
emacs lilo.conf
/sbin/lilo

# Fix up the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinst file
# It does a "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" without seeing if the "file" exists
# I have an IDE system.
#
cd /etc/rc.d
emacs rc.sysinst
# We need to add the outside "if" statement
# if [ -f /proc/scsi/scsi ]; then
#     if cat /proc/scsi/scsi | grep -q ...
#         if cat /proc/devices | grep -qv ' 9 st' ; then
#             if [ -n "$USEMODULES" ] ; then
#                 # Try to load the module.  If it fails, ignore it...
#                 modprobe st 2>/dev/null
#             fi
#        fi
#     fi
# fi
--

Perry Grieb

Special of the week: SPAM proofread for $500 per message.

RH 4.1 modular kernel build mystery

Post by Perry Gri » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[Follow-up to my own post]

Never mind.

If you read the docs to the end, it answers a couple
questions.  I rebuilt the kernel, creating modules
I never will really need or want and the runtime errors
went away.  Guess if you don't need the modules, you
need to redo /etc/rc.d/.

Perry Grieb
--

Post by Frank Sweetse » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Call me a newbie.  I'm not a kernel hacker.  In any event, it was
> a heck of a lot easier to build and run 1.2.x non-modular kernels
> that the 2.0.x modular ones.  And the documentation seems (to me)
> to be below the typical linux standard, as it pertains to modules.
> See /usr/src/linux/README & /usr/src/linux/Documentation/module*.

> I run RedHat 4.1 which may have some unique issues of its' own.
> The kernel located in /boot.  I did manage to get the "kernel
> build, install, reboot process" down to a finite number of errors.
> And the following "script" attempts to show what it took.

the script (clipped) looks fine...

Quote:

> Questions and Problems:

> Where do(es) the /boot/module-info* file(s) come from?

made by redhat(I think) . wouldn't worry about it...

Quote:> Where does the /lib/modules/2.0.27/modules.dep file come from?

Comes from running depmod -a while running 2.0.27.  If you do depmod -a
under 2.0.29, it'll create /lib/modules/2.0.29/modules.dep

Quote:> There are not (obvious) ones for my new 2.0.29 kernel.
> Are they needed?

> And there are errors when running the new kernel...
> INIT: Id "7" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Check in /etc/inittab for whatever 7 is.

Quote:> modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

Theses are harmless.  This is from ifconfig triggering the kernel to
attempt to load all network protocol modules.  If you don't want to see
them, add this to /etc/conf.modules

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

Quote:

> Is there any requirements (module dependancies) between an NE2000
> clone ethernet interface and nfs that could cause these messages?

None that I know of.

Quote:> Thanks in advance for any help in understanding the module mystery!

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

1. Kernel build freeze RH 4.1, kernel 2.0.27, AMD k5100

I have a brand new system with 16M of ram, a partitioned 1.6G drive, and an
AMD processor.  Motherbaord is an Intel VS with an award BIOS specifically
listed as supporting the K5100.  When I build a new kernel with the default
setup as delivered from RedHat, everything works.  This build takes about ten
minutes.

When I boot with the new kernel, things seem fine as well.

If, after booting with the new kernel, I attempt to compile a kernel a second
time, the build goes through the make dep and make clean fine, but on the very
first file of the make zImage, it freezes in cc1.

This seems independent of the options for the kernel build.

I have heard from a few others with similar configurations who have this
problem.

I have tried including java, elf, and a.out binaries in various combinations,
to no avail.  I am also considering doing a binary search, but since I must
build the kernel with the new options, and then boot with the new one and
attempt a build to see if it worked, it si a bit difficult to test them all.

Suggestions as to what might cause a freeze in cc would be handy.  I have
tried swapping RAM and fiddling with BIOS options, and they do not have an
effect.  Further, it seems to not matter what else is going on, so I suspect
it is not hardware.  I am open to debate, of course.

Scott

"When a great many people are unable to find work, unemployment
results" - Calvin Coolidge, (Stanley Walker, City Editor, p. 131 (1934))
"The barbarian is thwarted at the moat." - Scott Adams

2. Packages

3. HELP: kernel building / modular kernels

4. What to do when root is full?

5. Modular IDE Build Failing Without Modular Generic PCI bus-master DMA support

6. Linux Certification Bootcamp w/Free Laptop.

7. RH 6.1: Modular vs Built-In drivers?

8. How do I find paging-space warning level?

9. Building a custom kernel in 4.1

10. Redhat 4.1, install, build kernel - what the-?!?!?

11. Building Modular Kernel

12. kernel version problem with ppp module in RH 4.1

13. Correct way to compile a modularized kernel under RH 4.1?