Compiling kernel with gcc 2.95?

Post by Paul Hughet » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I am working on a joint project for which the use of gcc 2.95 has just
become mandatory--the code won't compile under the older compilers.
However, I still would like to be able to compile custom kernels when
necessary.  Is it safe to do this using gcc 2.95, or do I have to go
to the trouble of maintaining two versions of the compiler?  I'm
currently at kernel version 2.2.16 and don't really plan to do
anything with older kernels.

Thanks.

Paul Hughett

Post by Paul Kimo » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> The kernel people don't recommend it yet, purely because they are not sure
> about all the extra optimisations that are done in 2.95.

The 2.2.17 release notes
(http://www.linux.org.uk/VERSION/relnotes.2217.html) say:

: This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs 1.1.2. Patches for
: building with gcc 2.95 are merged but less tested than other
: compilers. Caution is recommended when using gcc 2.95 and feedback is
: sought.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted in plain text.  Any images,

Post by Allin Cottrel » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> I am working on a joint project for which the use of gcc 2.95 has just
> become mandatory--the code won't compile under the older compilers.
> However, I still would like to be able to compile custom kernels when
> necessary.  Is it safe to do this using gcc 2.95, or do I have to go
> to the trouble of maintaining two versions of the compiler?

"They" say that gcc 2.7.2.3 is safer.  It's possible to keep a minimal
version of the earlier gcc on hand, since the kernel is straight C
and you don't need all the extra stuff for C++, Objective C and
all that.  About 3MB takes care of it.

Allin Cottrell.

Post by Karl Heye » Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:04:48

> I am working on a joint project for which the use of gcc 2.95 has just become
> mandatory--the code won't compile under the older compilers. However, I still
> would like to be able to compile custom kernels when necessary.  Is it safe
> to do this using gcc 2.95, or do I have to go to the trouble of maintaining
> two versions of the compiler?  I'm currently at kernel version 2.2.16 and
> don't really plan to do anything with older kernels.

The kernel people don't recommend it yet, purely because they are not sure
about all the extra optimisations that are done in 2.95.  But many people  have
used the compiler on the kernel.  Continue, but just bear it in mind, if
anything odd is going on.

karl.

1. Kernel compile problem with (P)GCC 2.95

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded my compiler to GCC 2.95 and now whenever
I try to compile a kernel (tried it with 2.3.11-15 and 2.2.9) and do
a make bzlilo, towards the end I get the warnings

Warning; using %eax instead of %ax due to ..... ???

When I reboot the system the kernel hangs at

Uncompressing Linux. OK. Booting kernel......

From then on I ve to press the reset button to reanimate my system.

Does anyone know why this happens ???

Greets,

Andreas Spengler

2. SuSE + iBook + mixer

3. Trying to compile gtkwave on Solaris 7 box, with GCC 2.95, having no luck.

4. Writing daemon program

5. Compiling with gcc 2.95 on Solaris 8 --> core dump

6. username@111.111.111.111, Is this working?

7. Can't compile 2.0.36 w/gcc 2.95

8. About KDE 3.1 beta 1

9. gcc 2.95 compile error

10. compiling ksh93 with gcc 2.95.[23] fails

11. JFS no longer compiles with gcc 2.95

12. 2.5.60: JFS no longer compiles with gcc 2.95

13. Compiling KDE 1.2 with gcc 2.95