System hangs under linux 2.1.9x and 2.1.1xx

System hangs under linux 2.1.9x and 2.1.1xx

Post by ta.. » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

For some reason, my system (a dual-CPU Pentium-II/233 system, with 128M RAM)
intermittently freezes and requires a reboot.  This would be all right, con-
sidering that I'm using development kernels, but I also have instances where
the system reaches the point at which the second CPU is initialized, and it
restarts the whole boot sequence again, going through the memory check, etc.

The only way I have found to recover from this is to revert to a kernel which
was compiled prior to the one which caused the problems, or reinstall the
system from scratch, as any kernel I build, after recovering from the continual
reboots and using an earlier kernel, has the same problem - where the system
will reach the stage where it tries to initialize the second cpu, and restart
the whole boot sequence again, over and over.

I have not been able to see any error messages which would shed some light
on this situation, but feel that there may be an interrupt problem which
intermittently crops up when the second CPU is initialized.

If anyone has had this problem and found a solution, or has any idea about what
may be going on, I'd greatly appreciate their input.

Thanks,

Taren

Post by Matthias Kra » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

>For some reason, my system (a dual-CPU Pentium-II/233 system, with 128M RAM)
>intermittently freezes and requires a reboot.  This would be all right, con-
>sidering that I'm using development kernels, but I also have instances where
>the system reaches the point at which the second CPU is initialized, and it
>restarts the whole boot sequence again, going through the memory check, etc.

>The only way I have found to recover from this is to revert to a kernel which
>was compiled prior to the one which caused the problems, or reinstall the
>system from scratch, as any kernel I build, after recovering from the continual
>reboots and using an earlier kernel, has the same problem - where the system
>will reach the stage where it tries to initialize the second cpu, and restart
>the whole boot sequence again, over and over.

>I have not been able to see any error messages which would shed some light
>on this situation, but feel that there may be an interrupt problem which
>intermittently crops up when the second CPU is initialized.

>If anyone has had this problem and found a solution, or has any idea about what
>may be going on, I'd greatly appreciate their input.

Hi!

What is your exactly board type? What kind of RAM do you use?

--

   http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~kranz
"Der hat doch keine Frisur!"

Post by ta.. » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>>For some reason, my system (a dual-CPU Pentium-II/233 system, with 128M RAM)
>>intermittently freezes and requires a reboot.  This would be all right, con-
>>sidering that I'm using development kernels, but I also have instances where
>>the system reaches the point at which the second CPU is initialized, and it
>>restarts the whole boot sequence again, going through the memory check, etc.

> What is your exactly board type? What kind of RAM do you use?

>    http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~kranz
> "Der hat doch keine Frisur!"
>    Helge Schneider ueber Guildo Horn

I'm using an ASUS P2L97-DS/266 board, with 128MB of 60ns (I think), uncached
DIMMS.

Hope this helps a little.

Taren