Installing kernel modules at Boot

Post by Frank McGi » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Would someone please list for me the files to be changed for kernel
driver modules to be installed at boot time rather than later with an
insmod command.  Or better yet point me to where this procedure is
documented.

Thanks for the help.

Frank McGirt

Post by Matt Foste » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: Would someone please list for me the files to be changed for kernel
: driver modules to be installed at boot time rather than later with an
: insmod command.  Or better yet point me to where this procedure is
: documented.

: Thanks for the help.

: Frank McGirt

Have a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/modules.txt
Use either kmod under 2.2 or kerneld under 2.0.  If it is
2.0 then you need to start kerneld fairly early on in the
boot process.

Matt

Post by Chun-Chung Che » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Would someone please list for me the files to be changed for kernel
> driver modules to be installed at boot time rather than later with an
> insmod command.  Or better yet point me to where this procedure is
> documented.

If you just want to load certain modules during the booting process,
you can put insmod in the booting scripts. They are files mentioned
in /etc/inittab. If you need certain modules before you can mount
your root file system then you should look into the initrd document.
It's in the kernel source distribution:

        /usr/src/linux/Documentation/initrd.txt

. Chung .

Installing kernel modules at Boot

Post by Frank McGi » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Thanks, Chung.  I'll have a look.

Frank

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:14:06 -0800, Chun-Chung Chen

>> Would someone please list for me the files to be changed for kernel
>> driver modules to be installed at boot time rather than later with an
>> insmod command.  Or better yet point me to where this procedure is
>> documented.

>If you just want to load certain modules during the booting process,
>you can put insmod in the booting scripts. They are files mentioned
>in /etc/inittab. If you need certain modules before you can mount
>your root file system then you should look into the initrd document.
>It's in the kernel source distribution:

>    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/initrd.txt

>. Chung .

1. Opening a kernel module from another kernel module

I am trying to talk to a kernel module driver that I wrote from another kernel module that
implements some tests for the driver.  I am unable to open it with the standard "open" call that
works from user space.  I assume this is because that functionality is not available
at the kernel level.  Are there any examples available?  I want to be able to open, read and
write from another kernel module.

Thanks

Ed Hudson

2. Redhat5.0 and fvwm2

3. Ft. Worth - Linux Kernel Module Programmer - Unix kernel modules & Unix device drivers

4. File Manager's for X

5. aha1542, module vs kernel, kernel doesn't work, need kernel

6. Installation HElp

7. Remote boot and kernel modules

8. Apache Authentication - AuthName

9. Making Linux multiboot capable and grub loading kernel modules at boot time.

11. Module problem while kernel boot

12. New kernel stops booting at ''finding module dependencies''

13. Kernel modules at boot