Linux and 128 MB RAM ?!

Post by Welf Wustlic » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Im using a PCI Pentium 90 128 MB RAM and linux kernel 1.3.9
While booting up the system it detects only 64MB RAM and
larger applications will be swaped out.
I have changed the variable NR_MEM_LISTS in mm.h to a value
of 8 instead of 6.
But this did not fix my problem.

Is there anybody who can use more than 64MB ?
Do you have any idea what I can change in the kernel sources ?

Many thanks for helping me

Yours Welf

Linux and 128 MB RAM ?!

Post by Zenon Fortu » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Im using a PCI Pentium 90 128 MB RAM and linux kernel 1.3.9
>While booting up the system it detects only 64MB RAM and
>larger applications will be swaped out.

Put the line

  append = "mem=128M"

in your /etc/lilo.config to inform the kernel about the real mem size.
The linux bootstrap uses the BIOS call 0x15 fct 88 which returns extended mem
size in 1kB as 16bit number, i.e. max 64kB.
(this was explained and posted Gerhard Traeger, and others)

Linux and 128 MB RAM ?!

Post by John Hard » Sat, 04 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Im using a PCI Pentium 90 128 MB RAM and linux kernel 1.3.9
>While booting up the system it detects only 64MB RAM and
>larger applications will be swaped out.
>I have changed the variable NR_MEM_LISTS in mm.h to a value
>of 8 instead of 6.
>But this did not fix my problem.

>Is there anybody who can use more than 64MB ?
>Do you have any idea what I can change in the kernel sources ?

>Many thanks for helping me

>Yours Welf

Brother! This should be in the FAQ.

The BIOS will only return memory sizes up to 64MB. Beyond that you have to
give LILO an argument to tell it how much memory there is.

You may experience severe performance problems if you have less than 512k
of L2 cache.

    PGP fingerprint: A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76
    finger for PGP key             Linux: the choice of a Gnu generation
TIME:  Isn't the point that if you're a small player and you preannounce a
       product, it has no effect, but that when a large player [Microsoft]
       preannounces, it can freeze out the competition?
GATES: I'd say that's pretty nonsensical. Let's say you take a market,
       like the cigarette market, and you ban advertising. Who benefits?
                                        -- William "Slick Billy" Gates,
                                           _Time_, 6/5/95