Steps to upgrade from 1.2.13 Slackware to 2.o*

Steps to upgrade from 1.2.13 Slackware to 2.o*

Post by Ronnie Gibs » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I gave it my best shot and failed. I couldn't get the kernal to
compile so I figured all the mentioned packages must be installed
first.

Got numerous "can't execute binary file" and ldconfig refused to work.

I ended up doing a rm-rf /* and reinstalling 1.2.13

Is there a proceedure that need be followed to upgrade?

Also, I tried version kernel versions 2.0.20 and 2.0.21. Is there
another kernel that is more stable. I'm running Slackware 2.3.

How about downloading the 3.1 Slackware disks. What's the least
painful way if I go that route. I use A, AP, D, N, X, and XAP

Post by Paw Mull » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> another kernel that is more stable. I'm running Slackware 2.3.

I upgraded 2 weeks ago from 2.3 to 3.1, and just grabbed a copy of my
/etc, /etc/rc.d, crontab, system.fvwmrc and personal "dot"-files to a
floppy.
No problem in upgrading except that you have to upgrade mount. Get the newest
version and install it as fast as possible. This mount-problem also causes
you to add some boot-parameters. Check with "fdisk -l" when logging in for
the first time on your new system if the system can identify your harddisk.
That's it!

/Paw Mullit

Post by Peter N. M. Hanste » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I gave it my best shot and failed. I couldn't get the kernal to
>compile so I figured all the mentioned packages must be installed
>first.

>Got numerous "can't execute binary file" and ldconfig refused to work.

>I ended up doing a rm-rf /* and reinstalling 1.2.13

>Is there a proceedure that need be followed to upgrade?

Read the file Documentation/Changes in the kernel source archive. It
lists the versions of various packages needed to install and run the
2.0 series kernels. You might of course also want to look into a newer
distribution which is built around the 2.0 series.

I use redhat 3.0.3 myself, with the kernel upgraded to 2.0.22. If you
are considering getting a whole new distribution, you could do worse
than try redhat. Among other things, it comes with the rpm package
system which makes upgrading software a one-command thing.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Peter

Post by Ronnie Gibs » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>> another kernel that is more stable. I'm running Slackware 2.3.
>I upgraded 2 weeks ago from 2.3 to 3.1, and just grabbed a copy of my
>/etc, /etc/rc.d, crontab, system.fvwmrc and personal "dot"-files to a
>floppy.
>No problem in upgrading except that you have to upgrade mount. Get the newest

I downloaded Slackware 3.1 and installled it. Got it to go after
remaking cua1, can't use the new xserver for Tseng EW32-have to use
SVGA, and get numerous "undefined symbols in modules" upon boot.

Can't load ftape either.
Geez, what next...