PIC shared libs, how do they do what they do?

PIC shared libs, how do they do what they do?

Post by Steven Bro » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've been trying to figure out how PIC shared libs actually work.  You know,
the standard shared lib you compile with gcc with -fPIC.  I figured that the
compiler would reserve a base register like edi and instead of compiling the
label directly, would compile it with an additive to edi, however when I
looked at an objdump of some simple code that was compiled with -fPIC, I
couldn't figure out what it was doing.  Is there a description somewhere of
how PIC works that doesn't involve decoding gcc's source code? :)  Thanks!

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. How to expand a file system?

3. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

4. Kernel 2.4 question

5. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

6. SCO OpenServer 3.2 - need help

7. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

8. Q:Best-Of Network X Software.

9. Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

10. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

11. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

12. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

13. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format