Pro/ENGINEER FlexLM and LINUX

Post by adolphe_yous.. » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello all!

Has anyone tried to use the LINUX version of FLEXlm to do software
license management for Pro/ENGINEER?  I'd like to dump my NT
file/license server in favor of a LINUX box.  File serving is no prob
for LINUX, of course, but with FLEXlm?  Does anyone have experience with
changing FLEXlm servers in general?  Also, I'm planning on keeping all
the same hardware; this is just and OS change (heh, just!).

BTW, sorry if the cross posting is inappropriate, did a search for
FLEXlm and posted to what may be relevant groups.

some references:
Parametric Technology Corp. -- http://www.ptc.com
GLOBEtrotter Software, Inc. -- http://www.globetrotter.com
LINUX General Info Home Page -- http://www.linux.org

-Adolphe Youssef

(note to PTC:  Hurry up with Pro/E for LINUX!!!!!)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Bernard Mung » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Hello all!

>Has anyone tried to use the LINUX version of FLEXlm to do software
>license management for Pro/ENGINEER?  I'd like to dump my NT
>file/license server in favor of a LINUX box.  File serving is no prob
>for LINUX, of course, but with FLEXlm?  Does anyone have experience with
>changing FLEXlm servers in general?  Also, I'm planning on keeping all
>the same hardware; this is just and OS change (heh, just!).

We are running on a Lunix server for the file server and the
performance is increased compared to NT, but at this point, I have no
figures.

I would also like to have the same information, if available, please
post your findings.

Bernard

Pro/ENGINEER FlexLM and LINUX

Post by Peter Samuels » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone tried to use the LINUX version of FLEXlm to do software
> license management for Pro/ENGINEER?  I'd like to dump my NT
> file/license server in favor of a LINUX box.

FLEXlm supports Linux?  Did not know that.

If they do, you probably want to contact them about migrating licenses
from one OS to another.  Assuming the Linux version and the NT version
both use an Ethernet MAC address for the node key, you should be able
to use the same set of licenses....

Note that there are implementation problems with license manager
software and Linux.  Specifically, since the OS is Open Source, it is
pretty much impossible to determine a hardware identifier (such as a
MAC address or a PIII serial number) beyond the ability of a clever
hacker to diddle.  Even a hardware dongle could most likely be
virtualized and faked without much difficulty.  Not sure how
node-licensed software houses plan to deal with this one, other than to
acknowledge the licensing scheme as cooperative.

Quote:> (note to PTC:  Hurry up with Pro/E for LINUX!!!!!)

Parametric is doing Pro/E for Linux?  Hmmm, that would put D* in
the uncomfortable position of playing catch-up again so soon after
finally rolling out CATIA for NT....  (And CATIA v5.1 pretty much
amounts to a late beta at this point anyway.)

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

Pro/ENGINEER FlexLM and LINUX

Post by Dave Sartor » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

PTC does not use FlexLM by itself. It is incorporated and modified as part
of the ProE software. You could probably get PTC to generate codes for a
Linux hostid but they wouldn't work.

Dave Sartori
Project Leader
Kohler Co.
Kohler, WI

Post by James Murr » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> (note to PTC:  Hurry up with Pro/E for LINUX!!!!!)

>Parametric is doing Pro/E for Linux?  Hmmm, that would put D* in

I wish they'd port Cadds5, but then they hardly seem to be developing
it on their mainstream Unix platforms, just spending time on NT instead.
Would it not have been quicker to port to Linux and give away a
(maybe UMSDOS?) install CD?
I reported a serious CAM bug on the Solaris release a year ago and they seem
to have done sod all. (ncoutd daemon dies)

jsm

Pro/ENGINEER FlexLM and LINUX

Post by Michael Serba » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello there,
Please let me know how you solved the problem.
Regards, Michael