Porting Linux to a new platform?

Post by Dr Yufan H » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I would like to now whether there is any information or guidelines
regarding porting the Linux to a totally new platform. What are the major
effort requirement for such project? What are the most difficult parts?
What is the minimum hardware requirement for Linux to start running and
ready for further porting and development?

Those who have done the porting to non-Intel platform could you please
share some experiences?

Thanks

Yufan

Porting Linux to a new platform?

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I would like to now whether there is any information or guidelines
> regarding porting the Linux to a totally new platform. What are the major
> effort requirement for such project? What are the most difficult parts?
> What is the minimum hardware requirement for Linux to start running and
> ready for further porting and development?

> Those who have done the porting to non-Intel platform could you please
> share some experiences?

The first things you need to know (besides CPU specs: instruction set, MMU
programming) are

  - how would I get my own OS loaded into the box?
  - where's the memory?
  - how do interrupts and timers work?

That should bring you to `Unable to mount root'. If you have Ethernet and wrote
support for it, you can mount the root file system via NFS.

Knowledge of serial ports is also very interesting for debugging.

Greetings,

                                                Geert

--

Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP}  http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

Porting Linux to a new platform?

Post by H. Peter Anv » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system

Quote:

> The first things you need to know (besides CPU specs: instruction set, MMU
> programming) are

>   - how would I get my own OS loaded into the box?
>   - where's the memory?
>   - how do interrupts and timers work?

> That should bring you to `Unable to mount root'. If you have
> Ethernet and wrote support for it, you can mount the root file
> system via NFS.

> Knowledge of serial ports is also very interesting for debugging.

Also, there is the need for a port of gcc.  Not just any C compiler
will do; the Linux kernel is written for gcc specifically.
Furthermore, you want to find out if there is any standard ABI's for
the target machine that you can use; at least if they are ELF based
you may get binary compatibility for free.

        -hpa
--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key

Post by Michael Meissne » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> The first things you need to know (besides CPU specs: instruction set, MMU
> programming) are

>   - how would I get my own OS loaded into the box?
>   - where's the memory?
>   - how do interrupts and timers work?

Also extremely helpful:

    - Has GCC/GAS/LD/BINUTILS been ported to the target architecture?
    - Is the compiler toolchain stable?
    - Is the object file format used ELF?

Quote:> That should bring you to `Unable to mount root'. If you have Ethernet and
> wrote support for it, you can mount the root file system via NFS.

> Knowledge of serial ports is also very interesting for debugging.

Or possibly JTAG in some of the newer gdb ports.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Porting Linux to a new platform?

Post by James Youngma » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

  Michael> Or possibly JTAG in some of the newer gdb ports.

How does one use the JTAG port on a device for debugging with GDB?