Problem compiling kernel 2.0.27

Post by Thomas Stei » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

After some years of not using Linux I want to upgrade the old version
0.99.14 to the
newer version 2.0.27, but I've a problem to compile the new kernel. The
compilation
stops with the following message:

   gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-
   reduce -pipe -m486 -DCPU=486 -E -D__GENKSYMS__ ksyms.c |
/sbin/genksyms ../include/linux/modules
   /sbin/genksyms: No such file or directory
   cpp: output pipe has been closed
   make[1]: *** [../include/linux/modules/ksyms.ver] Error 1
   make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'

It seems that make is missing the file /sbin/genksyms and I couldn't
find it on my system.
What does the command do? Do I need it? If yes, where can I get it?
Would appreciate any answer that solve the problem.

Thomas.

Post by Frank Sweetse » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> After some years of not using Linux I want to upgrade the old version
> 0.99.14 to the

Oh, dear... to make a jump that big, you're going to have to also upgrade
first a riduculous number of packages - see linux/Documentation/Changes for
details.  Note that it might just be easier to simply install a new sytem
which includes a more recent kernel...

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 4.9.1 Linux 2.0.32   i586   | at public servers
"Absolutely nothing should be concluded from these figures except that
no conclusion can be drawn from them."
(By Joseph L. Brothers, Linux/PowerPC Project)

Problem compiling kernel 2.0.27

Post by Don Krau » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Thomas Stein says...

Quote:> After some years of not using Linux I want to upgrade the old version
> 0.99.14 to the
> newer version 2.0.27, but I've a problem to compile the new kernel. The
> compilation
> stops with the following message:

>    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
> -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-
>    reduce -pipe -m486 -DCPU=486 -E -D__GENKSYMS__ ksyms.c |
> /sbin/genksyms ../include/linux/modules
>    /sbin/genksyms: No such file or directory
>    cpp: output pipe has been closed
>    make[1]: *** [../include/linux/modules/ksyms.ver] Error 1
>    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/kernel'

> It seems that make is missing the file /sbin/genksyms and I couldn't
> find it on my system.
> What does the command do? Do I need it? If yes, where can I get it?
> Would appreciate any answer that solve the problem.

So many things have changed between those two kernels, you are far better
off if you obtain a more recent distribution.

Not convinced? Read the README that comes with your 2.0. whatever
sources. Is your GCC 2.6.3 or higher? Your binutils (as/ld etc) also need
to be newer than what exists on your .99 stuff.
You should also be switching from a.out to ELF, your libs are probably
hopelessly out of date, etc...
--
=Don=

This is for the spammers:

If you are clueless: Remove SPAM.SUCKS from my address.

"For millions of years, man lived just like the animals.
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our
imagination... We learned to talk"