Mnemonic / Gnome integration?

Post by Peat Bakk » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
        You'll have to forgive any ignorance, but this is an idea that I've
cooked up after reading both the Mnemonic and Gnome web pages, and kicking
my Windows box because I hate it so much. ;)
        What if the Mnemonic core was a part of the Gnome desktop?  It makes
sense to me:  Mnemonic is designed to be modular, extensable, and all that
great stuff -- sounds like you could take it's functionality and turn it into
a set of components for a modular, extensable desktop. :)
        The only problem I see is that Mnemonic wants to be (and should be)
entirely platform independent.  However, the web page states that "Mnemonic's
modular design .. allows for the use of mnemonic objects in other
applications."  I guess that means that Gnome could use those objects. ;)

Thanks,
        Peat

--
Peter "Peat" Bakke             Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
http://www.europa.com/~pb      for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mnemonic / Gnome integration?

Post by Daniel Joy » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hello,
>        You'll have to forgive any ignorance, but this is an idea that I've
>cooked up after reading both the Mnemonic and Gnome web pages, and kicking
>my Windows box because I hate it so much. ;)
>        What if the Mnemonic core was a part of the Gnome desktop?  It makes
>sense to me:  Mnemonic is designed to be modular, extensable, and all that
>great stuff -- sounds like you could take it's functionality and turn it into
>a set of components for a modular, extensable desktop. :)

        WELL, Mnemonic IS a part of GNOME. It has been that way from the start.
 And yes, as Mnemonic modules become available, no doubt they will be used by
other apps (CORBA makes this easy).

        -Daniel

Quote:>        The only problem I see is that Mnemonic wants to be (and should be)
>entirely platform independent.  However, the web page states that "Mnemonic's
>modular design .. allows for the use of mnemonic objects in other
>applications."  I guess that means that Gnome could use those objects. ;)

>Thanks,
>        Peat

>--
>Peter "Peat" Bakke             Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
>http://www.europa.com/~pb      for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

1. Mouse vs. Shortcut vs Mnemonics vs Tabbing:

Mouse vs. Shortcut vs Mnemonics vs Tabbing:

What happens differently--behind the scenes--when I exercise a GUI
control (e.g., a button) by (1) using a mouse to click on it, (2)
using a mnemonic key(such as Alt+whatever underlined letter applies in
this case), (3) navigating to the button by successively pressing the
Tab Key?

What happens differently in each of these cases? Not just at the
toolkit level, but at the native level?

2. Cut/Copy/Paste with fvwm

3. Intel Mnemonics Assembler anywhere?

4. Q: sshd

5. Mnemonic WWW Project: Developers needed

6. Problems with Chips & Tecnologies 65555

7. Motif menu mnemonics question

8. bloody .htaccess problems

9. Need help on powerpc603 simplified mnemonics branch disassembler.

10. errno -> EXXXXX mnemonic?

11. An article on Mnemonic and Linux in News.Com

12. Project Mnemonic, new web browser

13. GDB--How to print ip register instruction mnemonics