disable login either in graphic mode or text mode

disable login either in graphic mode or text mode

Post by Andrew Won » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 01:26:21

Hi,

I want to ask how to go into Linux Desktop with any login actions? Also how
to start netscape automatically after booting?

Post by Karl Heye » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:16:18

> Hi,

> I want to ask how to go into Linux Desktop with any login actions? Also how
> to start netscape automatically after booting?

hi andy,

What are you wanting?  To not login at all on bootup, if so which account and
how do you intended to use other accounts like root.

You can put a script (on RH) in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ that will start an
application on X startup

karl.

Post by Nils O. Sel?da » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:19:32

>> Hi,

>> I want to ask how to go into Linux Desktop with any login actions? Also
>> how to start netscape automatically after booting?

> hi andy,

> What are you wanting?  To not login at all on bootup, if so which account
> and how do you intended to use other accounts like root.

su - auser -c startx ?

Also kdm , the login manager for KDE2 can do this, look at System->Login
Manager in the KDE Control Center. Its atleast available in KDE 2.2.

In kde, you can put links to applications that should start up
automatically(when you enter a desktop session) in ~/Desktop/Autostart/

--
Nils O. Sel?sdal

disable login either in graphic mode or text mode

Post by Andrew Won » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 02:10:13

I have suggested to disable login.
I put this command into rc.local.
But is it right to put netscape& into rc.local too?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 05:33:52

> I have suggested to disable login.
> I put this command into rc.local.
> But is it right to put netscape& into rc.local too?

No, that is not going to work. You need
coordination with the X-server.

In order for this to work there are (at
least) four things you have to consider.

1) You must tell netscape which display
   to use, that could easilly be done by
   prefixing the command with DISPLAY=:0.
   It would probably also be a good idea
   to connect input and output to
   /dev/null, so the command could look
   like this:

   ( ( DISPLAY=:0 netscape & ) 2>&1 ) >/dev/null </dev/null

2) You need netscape to know the cookie
   to tell the X-server. I don't know if
   that will happen automatically, but
   you should give it a thought.

3) You need to ensure that netscape will
   first start when the X-server is
   ready. You could include a sleep in
   the command you execute in the
   background. That is not the best
   solution, but it could work. The xinit
   and the gdm programs have ways to deal
   with this, using them instead will be
   a lot better.

4) You should consider runing netscape
   with a different user ID than root.
   Browsing the net as root is a bad
   idea. If there turns out to be some
   security leak in netscape you will be
   glad to have used another ID.

--
Kasper Dupont

1. Getting Graphic Mode and Text Mode during Startup

Hi...

I am fairly new with Redhat Linux 7.1 and the question I have for
everyone is...

Is there anyway that during the startup screen I can actually choose
between Graphic Mode and Text Mode???  I have it starting up right now
in Text mode and I know that I can do a telinit 5 to get back to
graphic mode but is there anyway to get it to be an option when I boot
up.

Right now it looks like this.

Linux
Linux UP

If you have any more questions or comments please let me know.

Thanks for all your help...
Richard

2. Win98->Linux semi-newbie

3. User login hangs in graphical mode, not text mode

4. problems manifesting with RH6.1 + gcc + apache_1.3.12

5. Pop client that runs in either text-mode AND X?

6. Questions?

7. Switching from an Xwin graphics mode to a terminal mode

8. problems with 1.3.61

9. Mode gets screwed up going back to text mode

10. Changing display modes in text mode

11. Server CRASH when i change graphic mode - to terminal mode and viceversa

12. Problems switching between X Mode and Login Prompt Mode

13. disable xwindow mode on graphics monitor