Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Dan O'Reil » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00



How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.
 
 
 

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Ong Lon Voo » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00




>How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
>an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.

Hi,

This is the makecd script I use:

#!/bin/sh
FLAGS="-eject -v dev=5,0 speed=4"
# needed to fix wrong permissions from current mirror
chmod a+x RedHat-i386/RedHat/base/rpmconvert
chmod a+x RedHat-i386/RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/*
chmod a-x RedHat-i386/RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/ls-lR*
mkisofs -r -J -T -b images/boot.img -c images/boot.catalog \
-A "Redhat/i386 Apollo" -V "Redhat/i386 5.2" RedHat-i386/ \
| cdrecord $FLAGS $1 -
--
--
Ong Lon Voon                          Webworks Pte Ltd

Engineering                           Singapore 389212

 
 
 

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Jussi Torhone » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00



> How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
> an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.

http://www.iki.fi/jt/homebrew_redhat_cd.html
http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html

Jussi

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tietosavo Oyj    # Corporate website:       http://www.tietosavo.fi
P.O.Box 1582     # Personal homepage:          http://www.iki.fi/jt
FIN-70461 KUOPIO # Tel: +358-17-193231          GSM +358-50-5946209
FINLAND          # Fax: +358-17-193355                73's de OH7DC

 
 
 

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Mark Bergsm » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00



> How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
> an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.

There's a program for doing just that. I don't know it's name anymore,
but I've seen it somewhere in the Fresmeat application-index.
(www.freshmeat.net)
--
Mark


- Linux 2.2.1 on an i686 (266.24 BogoMIPS) -

 
 
 

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Thomas Joyn » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00




> > How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
> > an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.

> There's a program for doing just that. I don't know it's name anymore,
> but I've seen it somewhere in the Fresmeat application-index.
> (www.freshmeat.net)
> --
> Mark


> - Linux 2.2.1 on an i686 (266.24 BogoMIPS) -

You probably also want to make sure that your BIOS supports bootable
CD-ROMs. AFAIK, most older ones (and even some newer ones) don't. If you
aren't sure, check your motherboard documentation or the manufacturer's
website. Alternately, you can check the BIOS type and version at startup
and check the BIOS manufacturer's website for version info.

I remember reading a webpage that had detailed instructions on how to do
make an iso image in RockRidge (Joliet [win9x's filesystem] handles
fileneames and permissions differently) format while in Windows or Linux;
it's definitely less complicated in Linux (uses "dd"). But I can't seem to
find it again. :( It's also possible to find an iso image of the CD on the
web (I used Mandrake's distrobution mirrored at
ftp://canine.resnet.gatech.edu/pub/linux-mandrake/). It does take quite
awhile to download 580 MB (180 min at 550kb/sec avg.), but much less
complicated or prone to error.

G'luck!

-- Tom

 
 
 

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Thomas Joyn » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00





> > > How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
> > > an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.

> > There's a program for doing just that. I don't know it's name anymore,
> > but I've seen it somewhere in the Fresmeat application-index.
> > (www.freshmeat.net)
> > --
> > Mark


> > - Linux 2.2.1 on an i686 (266.24 BogoMIPS) -

> You probably also want to make sure that your BIOS supports bootable
> CD-ROMs. AFAIK, most older ones (and even some newer ones) don't. If you
> aren't sure, check your motherboard documentation or the manufacturer's
> website. Alternately, you can check the BIOS type and version at startup
> and check the BIOS manufacturer's website for version info.

> I remember reading a webpage that had detailed instructions on how to do
> make an iso image in RockRidge (Joliet [win9x's filesystem] handles
> fileneames and permissions differently) format while in Windows or Linux;
> it's definitely less complicated in Linux (uses "dd"). But I can't seem to
> find it again. :( It's also possible to find an iso image of the CD on the
> web (I used Mandrake's distrobution mirrored at
> ftp://canine.resnet.gatech.edu/pub/linux-mandrake/). It does take quite
> awhile to download 580 MB (180 min at 550kb/sec avg.), but much less
> complicated or prone to error.

> G'luck!

> -- Tom

I found the site :
http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/rhjol.html

-- Tom

 
 
 

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Dr H. T. Leu » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00


About the BIOS support yes, you need that. On the other hand, there is
a RedHAT-CD howto (okay, it doesn't cover the "bootable" feature, but the
shell scripts for fixing permissions,etc are quite useful), and mkisofs has a
make bootable CD feature. I did one over the Christmas and just used it to do a
floppy-less install onto a machine that had NT on previously and make it
dual-boot with the NT loader. After modifying the BIOS boot sequence settings to
"CD then floppy then hard disc " (it was floppy/hd/cd before hand), and the
machine just boots directly into the REDHAT installation screen. no floppy
involved.

The procedures are :
(1) use GNU wget to download the whole lot from sunsite - wget is available at
all GNU mirrors

(2) follow the instructions in the "REDHAT CD howto" about fixing permissions and
merging updates.

(3) The precise command line I used for creating the bootable CD image was:

mkisofs-1.12b4 -D -a -b images/boot.img -c misc/boot/boot.cat -R -J -T
-o cd-image -P "Copyright (C) 1998 Red Hat Software, Inc."
-V "RedHat 5.2" -v MY_CD_dir

then

cdrecord <options> -pad cd-image

|>

|> > >
|> > > How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
|> > > an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.
|> >
|> > There's a program for doing just that. I don't know it's name anymore,
|> > but I've seen it somewhere in the Fresmeat application-index.
|> > (www.freshmeat.net)
|> > --
|> > Mark
|> >

|> > - Linux 2.2.1 on an i686 (266.24 BogoMIPS) -
|>
|> You probably also want to make sure that your BIOS supports bootable
|> CD-ROMs. AFAIK, most older ones (and even some newer ones) don't. If you
|> aren't sure, check your motherboard documentation or the manufacturer's
|> website. Alternately, you can check the BIOS type and version at startup
|> and check the BIOS manufacturer's website for version info.
|>
|> I remember reading a webpage that had detailed instructions on how to do
|> make an iso image in RockRidge (Joliet [win9x's filesystem] handles
|> fileneames and permissions differently) format while in Windows or Linux;
|> it's definitely less complicated in Linux (uses "dd"). But I can't seem to
|> find it again. :( It's also possible to find an iso image of the CD on the
|> web (I used Mandrake's distrobution mirrored at
|> ftp://canine.resnet.gatech.edu/pub/linux-mandrake/). It does take quite
|> awhile to download 580 MB (180 min at 550kb/sec avg.), but much less
|> complicated or prone to error.
|>
|> G'luck!
|>
|> -- Tom
--
          --------------------------------------------------
"What you don't care cannot hurt you."            Chap. 7a, AMS-NS

 
 
 

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Elvis Che » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Quote:> (3) The precise command line I used for creating the bootable CD image was:

> mkisofs-1.12b4 -D -a -b images/boot.img -c misc/boot/boot.cat -R -J -T
> -o cd-image -P "Copyright (C) 1998 Red Hat Software, Inc."
> -V "RedHat 5.2" -v MY_CD_dir

great explaination, however, I just have a small question:

I have mastered/burned RH52 image with the above mkisofs commands.  The CD
is bootable, and the installation process promptly shows up.  The problem
is, when I indicated that I'm installing from "local CDROM", it probes the
CDROM, and hangs there.  This happends to 3 machines I have tested.

my own machines has:

P133 with DFI P5BV3+ MB, with 128M RAM
10gig IBM EIDE HD as primary standalone, and
Pioneer 32x CDROM as secondary master.

any idea why it boots, but failed to install from CDROM?

thanx in advance,

Elvis

 
 
 

Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

Post by Marc Lefran » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00



> great explaination, however, I just have a small question:

> I have mastered/burned RH52 image with the above mkisofs commands.  The CD
> is bootable, and the installation process promptly shows up.  The problem
> is, when I indicated that I'm installing from "local CDROM", it probes the
> CDROM, and hangs there.  This happends to 3 machines I have tested.

Do you have the RedHat directory (or a symlink to that directory) at
the root of the cdrom filesystem ? The install program mount the CD on
/mnt/cdrom and looks for /mnt/cdrom/RedHat.

--
_____________________________________________________________
 Marc Lefranc, Charge de Recherche au CNRS
 Laboratoire de Physique des Lasers, Atomes, Molecules
 Bat P5, UFR de Physique
 Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille
 F-59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq CEDEX (FRANCE)

_____________________________________________________________

 
 
 

1. Creating Bootable Install CD for RH 7.0

I am looking to put up my first Linux install.  I downloaded the ISO
disc images for RH 7.0 to my NT server.  I would like to cut a set of
bootable CDs for the install.  Currently, all I have available is a
Windows system with a CD burner and the Adaptec Easy CD Creator software
(4.2).  First, is it possible to create CDs that will work using this
hardware and software?  Second, does anyone have a doc which gives the
proper settings for the Adaptec software?  Is there something special I
need to do to the ISO image first before I copy it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. ftp server in passiv mode, and pf

3. Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

4. fs/exec.c and binfmt-xxx in 2.4.14

5. FTP RH 5.2 -> RH 5.2 = NFT (No File Transfer)

6. Problem with cdr

7. RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

8. How can you get Linux to log into NT Server 4.0

9. Redhat 6.1 CD not bootable like 5.2

10. CD-R devices and creating bootable cds

11. Can't create boot disk in RH 5.2 installation

12. RH 5.2 Install freezes creating filesystem on hda1

13. how to create a RedHat 5.2 CD on an NT machine?