Q: WHAT IS THE LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF FILES YOU CAN HAVE OPEN AT ONE TIME???

Post by C Sham » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: WHAT IS THE LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF FILES YOU CAN HAVE OPEN AT ONE
: TIME?
: I know getrlimit and setrlimit allows you to change it for your
: procces, but what is the maximum value i can give to setrlimit.

Probably, more than you have inodes on your harddrive... I wouldn't worry
about it.

Post by Andreas Schw » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

|> WHAT IS THE LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF FILES YOU CAN HAVE OPEN AT ONE
|> TIME?
|> I know getrlimit and setrlimit allows you to change it for your
|> procces, but what is the maximum value i can give to setrlimit.

It's defined by the value that is returned by sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX),
which is currently 256 under Linux.
--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something

Post by Andrew Miles » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> : WHAT IS THE LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF FILES YOU CAN HAVE OPEN AT ONE
> : TIME?
> : I know getrlimit and setrlimit allows you to change it for your
> : procces, but what is the maximum value i can give to setrlimit.
> Probably, more than you have inodes on your harddrive... I wouldn't worry
> about it.

You are limited to 256 file descriptors per process.
This can be changed though.

-- Andrew E. Mileski --

Dark Matter Technologies Inc. - Ottawa Ontario, Canada!

Post by Robert Shingledeck » Fri, 24 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: WHAT IS THE LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF FILES YOU CAN HAVE OPEN AT ONE
: TIME?
: I know getrlimit and setrlimit allows you to change it for your
: procces, but what is the maximum value i can give to setrlimit.

If you look in the sources, /usr/src/linux-1.2.xx/include/linux/fs.h,
you will see the max open files is set to 1024 for the system and 256 for
any one process.  I had to bump up my max open files.