More NCPfs questions

Post by Rhys Thury » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

This might be a very simple question, but how does one change the
permissions on files on a NetWare server?  In this particular instance, I
want to use ncpmount to log into a server as SUPERVISOR (or an equiv) and
remove a bunch of files.  Unfortunately, these files have the DOS
read-only bit set.  How does one accomplish 'attrib -r file.nam' from
within Linux?  I can't do it from DOSEmu because I'm trying to
incorporate all this into a script.

Thanks in advance!  I *will* check this group later (read:  quite often),
but I would appreciate a cc: of any replies.

--------
If you can lead it to water and force it to drink, it isn't a horse.

Got a Linux problem?  Or can you help others solve them?  Visit the Linux
Common Problems page at http://vortex.cc.missouri.edu/~rhys/linux.html

More NCPfs questions

Post by Gregory Steu » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: This might be a very simple question, but how does one change the
: permissions on files on a NetWare server?  In this particular instance, I
: want to use ncpmount to log into a server as SUPERVISOR (or an equiv) and
: remove a bunch of files.  Unfortunately, these files have the DOS
: read-only bit set.  How does one accomplish 'attrib -r file.nam' from
: within Linux?  I can't do it from DOSEmu because I'm trying to
: incorporate all this into a script.

I think it's just impossible. Try to look thru ncpfs source, if it
contains any refereces to NCP calls for changing attributes consider
my opinion wrong. BTW, I can't imagine why one needs to use those DOSish
attributes? They don't give anything at all.

/Greg

More NCPfs questions

Post by Rhys Thury » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: : This might be a very simple question, but how does one change the
: : permissions on files on a NetWare server?  In this particular instance, I
: : want to use ncpmount to log into a server as SUPERVISOR (or an equiv) and
: : remove a bunch of files.  Unfortunately, these files have the DOS
: : read-only bit set.  How does one accomplish 'attrib -r file.nam' from
: : within Linux?  I can't do it from DOSEmu because I'm trying to
: : incorporate all this into a script.

: I think it's just impossible. Try to look thru ncpfs source, if it
: contains any refereces to NCP calls for changing attributes consider
: my opinion wrong. BTW, I can't imagine why one needs to use those DOSish
: attributes? They don't give anything at all.

Out in the labs, the CONTROL.TXT file in the user home directories is
protected (slightly) by the read-only bit.  However, I want to use Linux
to remove these files from all the users' directories on all the file
servers, because I can write a script to do it and put it in cron.
However, since I can't change the DOS attribute, I can't use the script.

I may go back and reevaluate the read-only bit on those files.  It's
pretty pointless anyway.

--------
If you can lead it to water and force it to drink, it isn't a horse.

Got a Linux problem?  Or can you help others solve them?  Visit the Linux
Common Problems page at http://vortex.cc.missouri.edu/~rhys/linux.html

1. can't get ncpfs to work - 'Cannot open ncpfs'

To: Anyone that can help
Fr: Frustrated Fool

I've got a 1.2.13 system with just about nothing special.  (pppd,
diald, ip_masq, ftp, and sendmail).  I'm trying to add ncpfs.  I can
compile the binaries, and IPX is enabled in my kernel.  I cannot
'insmod ncpfs'.  I get 'Cannot open ncpfs'.  What's going on?  I tried
purging the source and re-untarring it again.  No go.  Any suggestions
out there?

Regards,
Mike

---                                                     ---
"Very troubleshootery." - P.A.Miller in 'Year of the Comet'
0-                                                    ISFMS

2. Thinking about SCO? Think again. :)

3. ncpfs and mount permission: newbie sysadmin question

4. IBM Lanstreamer bugfixes (round 3)

5. Question on ncpfs

6. IDE alternative to boot floppy for 3.3 install

7. ncpfs-2.2.0, Netware 4.11, filename case question.

8. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.18)

9. ncpfs mounting problem (newbie sysadmin question)

10. NCPFS sees server but not print queues

11. ncpfs will not compile on redhat 6.0

12. Problems with ncpfs on RedHat 6.1

13. ncpfs.o problem