Acessing memory hidden away from linux

Post by Berni » Mon, 30 Jan 1995 17:56:33

Hello,

I would like a user-mode program to have access to my RAM in the area
from 4Megs to 20Megs, while linux itself is _not_ using (or even
acknowledging) that area (due to "mem=3900k" in the lilo command line).
I know this is possible somehow, as XFree86 uses linear mapping of some
graphic cards, but am absolutely clueless as to the HOW of it.

Any hints? Other than getting the source for XFree ;-) ? Or maybe even some
simple sample code?

The background of this question: I got my hands on 16 Megs of RAM from a
junked graphics computer. Unfortunately, those are 32 ZIP chips, soldered to
a PCB, and are also 80ns RAMs. I solved the first problem by stringing a
bunch of wires from that PCB to SIP-to-SIMM-adaptors, and (after adding some
wait states here and there in the BIOS), the boot-up memtest is happy as
well as a DOS based mem tester.

Linux, however, dislikes this memory tremendously and gets lots of "Oops"
messages from the kernel. So rather than either junking the whole project or
trusting anything DOS based, I'd like to throw some test patterns at it
myself, and see where the errors occur and of what kind they are. Only ---
linux won't let me (I have hacked around in the kernel for the last few
hours, trying to get those pages mapped so a kernel space routine I added
into an unused driver could do the test for me, but all I get is "Ooops"
over and over :-( )

Thanks for any help,

    waiting eagerly,

       Bernie

1. webhosting.com - stay away... far far away

i made a big mistake hosting with webhosting.com

they do not respond to support and don't know what they are doing. i've
tried everything with them. i havn't heard anything from them in over a
week (they claim 48 hour response). i've even escalated to the
president, three times, and still heard nothing. their 'live support'
feature is a fraud. it is NEVER staffed.

stay away from webhosting.com

i'd love to hear from others with similar experience. they've cost me a
lot of time and money and i intend to get it back.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Is there any tool/command to list directory and files as tree view?

3. substitute variables, then redirect

4. memory leak in NFS if a sever goes away?

5. devfsadm running.

6. xterms are eating my memory away.

7. Displaying addresses of variables in hex?

8. Memory run away

9. Memory slipping away

10. How can I hide hidden files from anonymous ftpd user ?

11. How to find all hidden file on Unix, and how can i find hidden process?

12. Acessing a Linux PC via Serial or Parallel port.