Rerouting serial input to keyboard ?

Post by Gordon Durnel » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Is it possible to reroute the input coming into a serial port to make it
look like it is coming from the keyboard?

I am trying to find an OCR pen that will work as a keyboard wedge under
Linux, but they all seem to use RS232 and a Windows/Mac program to read it.
I'm hoping I won't have to write a daemon that reads the serial port and
pokes data into the keyboard buffer (but may have to in order to filter out
garbage...).

--

Gordon Durnell - Megavolt
Springfield MO

Rerouting serial input to keyboard ?

Post by Rick Mille » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Can you be more specific about the device?

What device are you using?  Do you mean that it automatically does handwriting
recognition of some sort and outputs ASCII via serial?  (Sounds like an easy
Palm app...)

In short, "What's an 'OCR pen'?"

Rick Miller

> Is it possible to reroute the input coming into a serial port to make it
> look like it is coming from the keyboard?

> I am trying to find an OCR pen that will work as a keyboard wedge under
> Linux, but they all seem to use RS232 and a Windows/Mac program to read it.
> I'm hoping I won't have to write a daemon that reads the serial port and
> pokes data into the keyboard buffer (but may have to in order to filter out
> garbage...).

Rerouting serial input to keyboard ?

Post by Gordon Durnel » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I'm looking at using either the WizCom QuickLink pen (
http://www.wizcomtech.com/products/quicklink.html ) or the PocketReader (
http://us.pocketreader.com/ ).

Basically, they scan printed text (use like a highlighting pen), do OCR,
then store the ASCII text or dump it to a serial port (or optionally beam to
a Palm, in the case of the QuickLink).  They are a bit limited in what fonts
they can scan -- handwriting is pretty much beyond their capacities.
Whaddya want for around US$100? <g>

I just got email from support at WizCom and it looks like I'll be able to
get the specs for the serial in/out so I can write a Linux driver for the
QuickLink.  My main goal is to write something that behave like a keyboard
wedge -- printed text scanned into the pen looks like it's coming from the
keyboard.

Gordon

> Can you be more specific about the device?

> What device are you using?  Do you mean that it automatically does
handwriting
> recognition of some sort and outputs ASCII via serial?  (Sounds like an
easy
> Palm app...)

> In short, "What's an 'OCR pen'?"

> Rick Miller

> > Is it possible to reroute the input coming into a serial port to make it
> > look like it is coming from the keyboard?

> > I am trying to find an OCR pen that will work as a keyboard wedge under
> > Linux, but they all seem to use RS232 and a Windows/Mac program to read
it.
> > I'm hoping I won't have to write a daemon that reads the serial port and
> > pokes data into the keyboard buffer (but may have to in order to filter
out
> > garbage...).

1. Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

  I'm working on a driver for a PCI based PS2 keyboard. We currently don't
have a graphics driver so we're using a serial console. Inorder to show the
keyboard driver works, I'm display the scancodes on the LEDs. But this isn't
a very convincing demo. Is there anyway to get the keyboard's input merged
into the serial console's input stream, just as if I had typed them on the
serial keyboard?

  Mike McDonald

2. oss*.Z's are NOT compressed

3. Output on serial console / input from keyboard

4. 2940U2w & freeBSD

5. serial output and keyboard input

6. solaris2 threads+lwp question

7. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

8. wait() system call on Linux

9. reroute input from device

10. How does keyboard input transmit from keyboard of X Server to application?

11. PROBLEM: PS/2 mouse movements cause lock up of all mouse and keyboard input

12. HELP: xftp refuses keyboard input

13. Keyboard input from curses