Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

Post by Mike McDona » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:55:57

  I'm working on a driver for a PCI based PS2 keyboard. We currently don't
have a graphics driver so we're using a serial console. Inorder to show the
keyboard driver works, I'm display the scancodes on the LEDs. But this isn't
a very convincing demo. Is there anyway to get the keyboard's input merged
into the serial console's input stream, just as if I had typed them on the
serial keyboard?

  Mike McDonald

1. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

I'm setting up a serial console on a machine for which the monitor
will go into the repair shop.  I've successfully set up getty to
take logins from the serial port, and I've successfully configured
the kernel to send boot messages to the serial port.  The final step
is setting up lilo.  Lilo works in that the boot prompt appears on
both the system console and on the serial port. However, I cannot
enter commands to the boot prompt from the serialport.  Following
manpage procedure, I transmit a break over the serial line in an
attempt to get lilo's attention.  It doesn't work.  Lilo listens only
to the system keyboard.  What's up?

System details: lilo-0.20-2 rpm from red hat 5.2, kernel 2.2.5,
otherwise a stock rh 5.2 i386 machine. Serial port connection: I'm running
kermit on a laptop.  I send breaks from kermit  as ctrl-\ b as indicated
in kermit man page. Kermit is ckermit-192.

I suppose that the simplest explanation is that I won't be able to get
lilo's attention unless I unplug the keyboard from the
to-be-monitorless system.  Possible?

Thanks,

Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. Kernel.Compile.mini.HowTo

3. Output on serial console / input from keyboard

4. Linux Magazine?

5. Compaq RAID5 Disk Accesses Interfere With Keyboard/Mouse Input at Console

6. Uninstall software in linux

7. HELP: How to grab *all* console keyboard input?

8. SOLARIS2.2 : ifconf problems with full qualified name

9. HELP: How can I grab ALL console keyboard input?

10. serial output and keyboard input

11. Rerouting serial input to keyboard ?

12. sending input to serial console

13. How does keyboard input transmit from keyboard of X Server to application?