Porting multithreaded programs to linux?

Porting multithreaded programs to linux?

Post by T Kroczek B Kwole » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello there!
I want to port to Linux the InterORB library from Solaris.
And it uses threads.
Could anyone very wise tell me how should it be (in general) done.
I've noticed that Linux uses MIT threads (<pthread.h>) instead of
solaris <thread.h> and don't really know differences.
Is there any library that MUST be linked to executable file for using
thread on Linux (like -lthread switch is Solaris makefiles)?
I'm using Slackware 3.0 (kernel 2.0.0 without any patches)
                I will be VERY gratefull for ANY help.
                (this is important for my diploma)
                Thank you!
                        Tom

Post by bill davids » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

| I want to port to Linux the InterORB library from Solaris.
| And it uses threads.
| Could anyone very wise tell me how should it be (in general) done.
| I've noticed that Linux uses MIT threads (<pthread.h>) instead of
| solaris <thread.h> and don't really know differences.

I don't know about "MIT" threads, the pthreads I have are POSIX
threads, and are as close to a standard as we have. Linux offers two
implementations of pthreads, one using user level threads which has
very low overhead but can get blocked and only uses one CPU, and one
using the clone() system call to thread at the kernel level.

Actually I should say "two types of thread implementations," since
there are several instances of each type. Mine are all somewhat old
by now, so I'd rather not give you versions numbers, but look on
sunsite for various packages.

All of the pthreads libs I have are compatible at the source level,
although the ones using clone() are less apt to block and run much
faster on an SMP machine.
--

"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
                -Dave Welch

1. how to handle signals in a multithreaded program (linux)

hi,

i have a pthreaded program, and i need to handle threads in it. i need
to sigwait on some, and provide handlers for others. when i read the
man page for sigwait, it said all other threads should be blocked on
the signals i want to wait on. however, i could find any reference to
what to do if i want to handle signals (not those i'm waiting on).

can you please point me to an article, or a piece of code that
explains what needs to be done.

thanx,
ittay

2. Kernel recompile for Sound Support

3. how2 port MULTITHREADED windows apps to Linux

4. Need help setting up Xwindows (ignoramus question)

5. Parallel port programming (was Game port programming)

6. file syncronization software

7. Parallel Port programming question, was "Serial Port Programming"

8. BUG in insmod-1.3.69f

9. Unix multithreaded program using Pro*C

10. Multithreaded programming in Solaris

11. Seminar on Multithreaded Programming Dec 12 & 13 in San Jose, CA

12. To run a multithreaded Program

13. Solaris multithreaded program qn.