Can't unmount /usr (device busy?!) in newer kernels...

Post by Har » Sun, 22 Jan 1995 02:06:26

>I have been recently keeping up with the new kernels, but I didn't notice
>which one actually caused the problem. Sorry.
>In 1.1.8x (83 last night), I noticed after hacking around for a while,
>then logging out on all VCs except one, I "cd /root" and "umount -a",
>and I get an error: "Unable to unmount /dev/hdb6: device busy".
>(/dev/hdb6 = /usr)
>I checked all I could, but I couldn't find anything that would cause this.
>I ended up with a corrupted filesystem in 1.1.81 after doing a "reboot"
>because /usr couldn't be unmounted (and apparently wasn't sync-ed).
>Is this a known bug? I haven't noticed it mentioned... but then I only
>recently started spending lots of time back here in the news...

        All processes using a filesystem must be killed before it can
be unmounted.  Using telinit S does this, or you can use the "fuser"
command (if you just type fuser by itself, it'll give you help on it).

Post by Kevin Burt » Sun, 22 Jan 1995 00:18:06

I have been recently keeping up with the new kernels, but I didn't notice
which one actually caused the problem. Sorry.

In 1.1.8x (83 last night), I noticed after hacking around for a while,
then logging out on all VCs except one, I "cd /root" and "umount -a",
and I get an error: "Unable to unmount /dev/hdb6: device busy".
(/dev/hdb6 = /usr)
I checked all I could, but I couldn't find anything that would cause this.
I ended up with a corrupted filesystem in 1.1.81 after doing a "reboot"
because /usr couldn't be unmounted (and apparently wasn't sync-ed).

Is this a known bug? I haven't noticed it mentioned... but then I only
recently started spending lots of time back here in the news...

Thanks!
Kevin
--
"Any resemblance to persons, living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental"
                      "Lycanthrope Productions Ltd."