libc vs glibc and posix

Post by xo.. » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 16:28:47

I have been looking all over for this answer, but  i am out of luck.
from a programmers perspective, what is the difference between libc5 and
glibc?  for ionstance, what type of code coould i compile under glibc
that i couldn't under libc5?  the only thing that i could find was some
headers (errno.h) had to be explicitly called, and that signals are more
BSD than SRV.  are there anyu other differences, or does anybody know
any docs which explain the differences?

thank you....

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

libc vs glibc and posix

Post by v.. » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:50:23

> I have been looking all over for this answer, but  i am out of luck.
> from a programmers perspective, what is the difference between libc5 and
> glibc?  for ionstance, what type of code coould i compile under glibc
> that i couldn't under libc5?  the only thing that i could find was some
> headers (errno.h) had to be explicitly called, and that signals are more
> BSD than SRV.  are there anyu other differences, or does anybody know
> any docs which explain the differences?

> thank you....

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Struct packing:

under libc5 - packed (you can use fpack-struct in Makefile to pack your structs)
under glibc - not packed (you can't use fpack-struct in Makefile and you must
                use #pragma pack(1) to pack your structs)

Also you can see changes by this command (if you want)

for i in  `ls /usr/doc/glibc-2.1.2/Change*`;do less $i;done

--
+----------------------+
|   Andrey V. Valik    |

+----------------------+

libc vs glibc and posix

Post by D. Stimit » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 10:45:33

> I have been looking all over for this answer, but  i am out of luck.
> from a programmers perspective, what is the difference between libc5 and
> glibc?  for ionstance, what type of code coould i compile under glibc
> that i couldn't under libc5?  the only thing that i could find was some
> headers (errno.h) had to be explicitly called, and that signals are more
> BSD than SRV.  are there anyu other differences, or does anybody know
> any docs which explain the differences?

> thank you....

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

I'm not positive to what extent it applies, but much of glibc has
reentrant or otherwise threadsafe versions of functions that can be
used, whereas this was virtually non-existent in older libc5.

1. libc vs. glibc vs. glibc2

Hi,

I am running RHLinux 5.0.

I am a little confused regarding the C libraries:

Please correct me if the following statements are garbage and
explain to me all about libc/glibc. I am a C programmer so
I would like to have a better understanding of this.

My understanding is:

The glibc/libc is the files located under /usr/include

The glibc2 is the same as the glibc (?) which is newer than the libc.

The glibc is AKA libc6 whereas the term libc refers to libc 5.

The glibc complies with ANSI standards better than the libc.

Both the libc and the glibc are developed by the GNU foundation.

Thanks,

Neil Zanella

2. Hung Process

3. glibc vs libc clarification wanted

4. Onyx 2.34 is out

5. glibc vs. libc

6. Q: kermit usage ?

7. Using ttyb when ttya is console on sparc 2

8. More libc vs. glibc -- I think!

9. glibc 586 vs glibc 386

10. glibc.a vs glibc.so

11. libc.so.4 vs libc.so.5 ?