Using old kernel modules under a new kernel

Using old kernel modules under a new kernel

Post by thomas a. anderso » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:25:18

Hi

I would like to know if it would be possible to use a kernel 'module'
compiled from a previous version of Linux and load it on system with a newer
kernel version.
Specifically, I have problems using the commercial DirecPC drivers supplied
by Helius software since those are built for RedHat 6.0 systems using kernel
version 2.2.5-*whatever... I'm currently running Slackware 7.0 with kernel
version 2.4.2 and I dislike the idea of stepping down my kernel just to use
those drivers. I am aware that one should find the sources of those modules,
rebuild, and link it to the current kernel tree to be able to use it under
the newer kernel. But that statement is next to impossible!
Any ideas, tricks on manipulating binary kernel modules so that it'll be
usable enough on my system?
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas A. Anderson
bash# segmentation fault
           core dumped...
bash#

Using old kernel modules under a new kernel

Post by tlin » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:08:17

I guess not. Many structures change the definitions. So you need to upgrade
the interfaces before moving it to a higher version system.

Quote:> Hi

> I would like to know if it would be possible to use a kernel 'module'
> compiled from a previous version of Linux and load it on system with a
newer
> kernel version.
> Specifically, I have problems using the commercial DirecPC drivers
supplied
> by Helius software since those are built for RedHat 6.0 systems using
kernel
> version 2.2.5-*whatever... I'm currently running Slackware 7.0 with kernel
> version 2.4.2 and I dislike the idea of stepping down my kernel just to
use
> those drivers. I am aware that one should find the sources of those
modules,
> rebuild, and link it to the current kernel tree to be able to use it under
> the newer kernel. But that statement is next to impossible!
> Any ideas, tricks on manipulating binary kernel modules so that it'll be
> usable enough on my system?
> Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance!

> Thomas A. Anderson
> bash# segmentation fault
>            core dumped...
> bash#

1. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

Hi.
Can someone help, how to update Grub so I can boot into linux. I
updated the kernel with up2date software on RedHat and followed the
Instructions to delete the old kernel files from /boot and now I can't
boot into anything old or new kernel. What do I do to boot into linux.
And Grub boot loader doesn't let me run any usefull commands. Thank
you. I tried to update Redhat 7.3 so it would let me boot into linux
but that didn't work. Thank you.

2. Using dd to copy copy-protected floppies

3. Q: use of new modules in old kernel

4. how to update to kde 1.1.2???

5. Compiled new kernel but old "module-info" file

6. How do I force linux to use my IDE card at IRQ 10 & 11 ???

7. HELP: old modules and new kernel don't match !

8. 100% system CPU states

9. Compile software on new kernel for old kernel

10. new kernel OK but what about system.map, kernel.h and module-info

11. aha1542, module vs kernel, kernel doesn't work, need kernel

12. Kerneld Compilation Problem - No Modules are load after using the new kernel