measuring interrupts time

Post by Sebastie » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anybody have a program to test the respose time of linux to an
interruption?
 I guess that the best test would be to use a function generator to trigger
the interrupt and to make the system respond by an output voltage. Using an
oscilloscope you would be able to use measure the time shift in between the
2 signals. This time shift would be equal to the interrupts response time

I have seen some measurments but I would like to try it on my system while
adjusting a few parameters.

Thanks. Sebastien.

measuring interrupts time

Post by B. James Phillipp » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Does anybody have a program to test the respose time of linux to an
> interruption?

For small delays, you can usually make use of some kind of CPU timing
feature.  I know that Pentium and Alpha CPU's have such a feature, though I
don't know how to get at it in an Alpha.  For Pentiums, you can do
something like this:

static inline unsigned long rdtsc(void) {

    unsigned long time;

    asm volatile
        (
         ".byte 0x0f; .byte 0x31"              /* Opcodes for RDTSC */
         : "=a" (time)                         /* Output - time=EAX */
         :                                     /* No inputs */
         : "eax", "edx"                        /* Clobbers */
        );
    return time;

Quote:}

and then call this before and after your operation and compare the results.
I believe the measurement is in CPU cycles, so a delta of 100 on a Pentium
100 would be 1 microsecond.

-bp
--
# bryan at terran dot org
# http://www.terran.org/~bryan

1. How can I measure CPU-time and Network traffic time ?

   Hey,

   who can tell me, how I can measure the CPU time of a program
   or a routine inside a program. Exists there any other possibilities
   as with time ? Does anybody know, how I can measure network
   transfer time and other datas of network traffic in distributed
   programsystems developed with SUN RPC's on SGI ? Please mail me
   your informations !

   Thanks for your efforts,

      Oliver
--
  ______     ______

 \______// \\______/

2. Using Floppies

3. Pull out your tools, it is time to measure!

4. /etc/system defaults

5. Measuring time bet. instructions on IRIS

6. internal tcp/ip

7. measuring time intervals precisely

8. workman and 8 bit problems

9. Need Help on Timing Measure in SunOS or Solaris

10. measure time in milli or micro sec accuracy

11. Real time measuring of bandwidth/transfers for each Virtual Host?

12. measuring time

13. Measure the Accept Queueing Time!